The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Cold Honor

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    only if you do not subscribe to the 6 Ps, if it is a dead bird consistency is not a problem, if it is a flier it should be placed so that inconsistency does not create inequality
    Maybe this needs it's own thread? But I have been around the game since the mid 80's and I can't tell you the 6 P's... I hope most of them rely on common sense and I like to think I have a little.

Care to share? Thanks!
    Bill Davis

Field trials are inherently filled with inconsistencies, I think it is important to consider the whole rather than minutae like a wing over the face, bulldog birds are memory erasers and they are usually thrown in open water so even if the dog doesn't see the bird they should get it, the timing of the throw is no different than any other throw, controlled by the judge, if consistency is the concern let's talk about poison birds, fliers, good light, bad light, wind shifts, honoring, etc.
    I think that the issues of consistency are more present with bulldog. Plus, there is a real time and fairness issue if a re-run is required on the bulldog.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Maybe this needs it's own thread? But I have been around the game since the mid 80's and I can't tell you the 6 P's... I hope most of them rely on common sense and I like to think I have a little.

Care to share? Thanks!
    Bill I know you know the 6 Ps which have no specific relationship to any single endeavor...

Prior Planning Prevents P!$$ Poor Performance

and Ted and I will simply have disagree about bulldogs and we disagree about very little

Bill I know you know the 6 Ps which have no specific relationship to any single endeavor...

and Ted and I will simply have disagree about bulldogs and we disagree about very little
    HaHa!! Damn! I thought there was a list I missed out on that was passed down from Rex after the secret handshake was given.

I do agree with your version of the 6 P's however.
    Bill Davis

I learned it as the Seven P's with Proper the starting word.

Yes, we rarely disagree. And I am not saying that I would not do a bull dog, or a cold honor, or an out of order flyer - all of which have more moving parts and issues than the average bear. But, they all consider more planning and fore-thought (6P) than the average bear
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Another one that I have run once in an Amateur a Remote Cast water blind. They had you walk your dog about 40 yards from the line sit your dog down and signal for the poison bird, then put your dog a remote sit and then you walked back to the line where you started running the blind. This was a big blind with two different pieces of water, there were several dogs that didn't even get wet and PU, or if the dog got of the first body of water they were very tempted to get the PB and took several cast to get back in the water. They got plenty out of that blind, I PU up one dog and got the other one thru it. That was the first and only Remote Cast blind I have ever run or seen at a FT.
    Greg Seddon
    CFC HRCH Gunner, Flight Interceptor SH
    Gates Smoky Mountain Treasure QAA

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I've seen a cold honor once in a HT, land-water series, walk-up with a live flyer that landed pretty much in you face, then a delayed double, dog honors as working dog picks up the flyer. Once that's up , they throw the double, which you pick up, then move into flyer position. Fun but sure did mix things up a bit
    I've mainly seen a cold-honor as a part of an upland hunt, usually running in brace. Basically 2 flyers, first one gets flushed, one dog retrieves one dog honors, second bird get flushed alternate dog retrieves, other honors. It's a sit to flush so basically you have a double honor scenario, gets pretty exciting with one of them wild dogs

Other interesting stuff to add to a test, Don't forget Bubba, the bother-in-law the wife makes us bring, he is annoying and smells so we put him way away from us, but the idiot still shoots at everything regardless
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 04-09-2013 at 03:57 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH-I HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast) Rip. July-2014
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    HR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)