The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Stud Fee Question.

Default Stud Fee Question.

I am curious as to how a breeder determines the amount of their stud fees? I am not planning on this but the question came up and I am wondering? I was under the assumption that it was equal to the price of ones pups. But I have noticed alot of people price their puppies quite a bit more than the stud fee of one of their sires. Also how is stud fee determined between sires? I see a large variance between different studs. Any input? Thanks

I'm thinking that the stud fee might actually be no more than the price of a puppy, unless the stud is already known to be an exceptional producer, or might be slightly less for a stud less in demand.

For the breeder, there is more front-end expense (that would contribute to ultimate puppy price) over and above the cost of the stud fee itself. (Costs such as hormone testing, travel or shipping of semen, vet assistance for breeding, etc. are customarily the breeder's expense, not the stud dog's).
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Senior Member Mike Peters-labguy23's Avatar

Don't forget now we have more titled females breeding than we did 10-20 years ago and that will change the value of the pups even if the female is only Hunt Test titled.
    Mike Peters

Stud fee can be determined by roughly calculating what you've spent in the course of training and campaigning a dog, then dividing by 50...
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Everything is negotiable so it's whatever both parties agree to.
    Bert Rodgers

For the breeder, there is more front-end expense (that would contribute to ultimate puppy price) over and above the cost of the stud fee itself. (Costs such as hormone testing, travel or shipping of semen, vet assistance for breeding, etc. are customarily the breeder's expense, not the stud dog's).[/QUOTE]

What about the upfront cost of FC AFC or NFC NAFC?
    John Lash

"If you run Field Trials, you learn to swallow your disappointment quickly."

"Field trials are not a game for good dogs. They're for great dogs with great training." E. Graham

Supply and demand. What is something worth? Whatever someone will pay for it.