The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Hand Down on Marks & Blinds

Everyone has their own method, if it works don't knock it. Not everyone has to do the it the same.

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    Like almost everything else about dog training, until someone developes a machine that can read a dog's mind and translate it into english, we don't know for sure what is going on in there. That said I tend to rely on standard field trial dog training methods, the good coaches I have had through the years, and buy into their explanations of why they do it the way they do. Not saying other methods don't work, I just know this has worked well for me and I see no reason to buck the tide.
    John,

I hope you didn't view my post as a criticism.... I truly appreciate your posts and your experience. I merely am tried to present an alternative view because I really do not totally understand what goes on inside a dog's head. There are just some things that when I really think about them do not make much sense to me so I tend to question them.... and one of them is the hand over the head. I have a system that works really well with my dog and thats all that really matters to me.

does it seem like we are walking on eggshells sometimes these days..... or am I just too blunt in my posts????
    Mike Tome
    Duckdog's Fast Autofocus
    GMHRCH-III WR North Star's Deuce of Diamonds

MHR WR Pondview's Bar None 1994-2006

Duckdogphotography.smugmug.com

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Klotthor View Post
    Everyone has their own method, if it works don't knock it. Not everyone has to do the it the same.
    If you're referring to me... I wasn't knocking anyone or anything. Just presenting a different viewpoint.
    Mike Tome
    Duckdog's Fast Autofocus
    GMHRCH-III WR North Star's Deuce of Diamonds

MHR WR Pondview's Bar None 1994-2006

Duckdogphotography.smugmug.com

No Mike not referring to you. Just stating a fact . I do agree it does seem like every one is walking on egg shells and it should not be that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tome View Post
    John,

I hope you didn't view my post as a criticism.... I truly appreciate your posts and your experience. I merely am tried to present an alternative view because I really do not totally understand what goes on inside a dog's head. There are just some things that when I really think about them do not make much sense to me so I tend to question them.... and one of them is the hand over the head. I have a system that works really well with my dog and thats all that really matters to me.

does it seem like we are walking on eggshells sometimes these days..... or am I just too blunt in my posts????
    No Mike, I didn't take it that way at all. Like I said in my post I know other approaches work well to. Sorry my post came across as critical, I really didn't see anything offensive or argumentive about your post. We don't have to walk on eggshells. I totally get it that the hyper-fine tuned way we do things in field trials doesn't necessarily translate to hunt test, can't hurt though.

John

Someone mentioned a camparison to the use of the hand and marking off the gun. IMO it's apples and oranges.

As was explained before the hand is a cue that says "yes, you are pointed and looking in the right direction". This is after the dog has already seen the marks go down. You are simply communicating which mark he is to get (selection).
    On a blind it says the same thing. Yes, that's right......"Back!"

Marking off the gun is done as an execise to get the dog to move his head with you as the birds are thrown/shot.
    Sure you can do the same thing with your hand but the dog is following the motion not looking at what you are pointing at.

Bert
    Bert Rodgers

Knock knock................

I'll play, who's there?
    Bert Rodgers

Quote Originally Posted by rbr View Post
    I'll play, who's there?
    Norma Lee.

norma lee who
    Bert Rodgers