The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Can I Do That?

Default Can I Do That?

Guys and Gals,
    I've had a lab before but he was a family pet from a local meat dog breeder. Great dog but it's been years. Anyway, getting a pup pretty soon from good lines with the sire's name being fairly well known. I hope to reach HRCH and become a great meat dog (via pro trainer). Being that I'm a newbie to the hunt test game, would it be disrespectful, rude, etc to name the pup (sire's name-let's use Mutt for now) Mutt's Chip off the Ole Block and have Chipper as his call name? Should I contact the sire's owner and ask he or she?

Id like to say thanks to everyone on RTF for the vast amount of knowledge. I'm enjoying this site!! Not sure if my partners at work are enjoying it though. Not to mention my wife. I believe I've surpassed her infamous time spent on facebook.

No reason at all that you cant name him that!
    ENJOY THE JOURNEY!!!

Thanks Barry! New to the game and didn't want to step on any toes or paws.

Think of it as a tribute/or pat on the back, to the sire. Obvoiusly you're proud of who his sire is, that you are willing to use the name. Some stud dog owners would be honored,flattered, or just plain feel good about it.
    HOME OF:
    Waterspook Sables Dark Secret, MH (Sable)
    Trumarcs Bankshot Bandit, MH ( Fats)
    Waterspook Tomfoolery, SH ( Tommie)
    IN MEMORY OF::
    Waterspook Bankshot Whiz Bang,JH (Jesse)
    Waterspooks Girl Named Bill, SH ( Billie- my princess.....)
    Waterspook Kickin' Gunshot, SH ( Boom)
    Waterspook Kickin' Good Time MH(Kick)
    Waterspooks Partner In Crime, SH ( Bouncer)
    Brush Creek Waterspook, JH, WC- my first girl.(Spooky)

Billie-
    That makes perfectly good sense. Obviously, I never thought of it that way or I wouldn't have had to ask. I guess I thought about it like this...dumb newbie gets a pup, turns a well bred pup into an average (at best) meat dog due to inexperience. Somewhere down the road the sire's owner sees registered name and wonders why I've given his titled dog a bad image. That's not gonna happen bc he's gonna be a star himself bc I've got a trainer lined up and I've joined a local HRC. Well, maybe he won't be a star but I have high hopes he will make daddy proud!!! Thanks again!!

If the name identifies the dog (or kennel/line) I think it's always polite to ask.
    We shoot dogs with a Canon

If its a AKC registered Kennel name you need the owner to sign the registration papers to AKC for permission to use name.

It wouldn't be the kennel name-just the call name of the sire. So in this case would I need "release" in writing? It sounds like, out of respect to sire's owner, maybe I should contact (s)he and see what their response will be. It's really not important to me but I just thought it'd be cool....besides, my family is huge ATL Braves fans so "Chipper"(as in Chipper Jones) makes it even better.