The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: What do you look for in a pup and in what order

So I still don't know what a "pelt" is???

FC? AFC? A blue ribbon? Heck, some people may feel a Started title is a "pelt".

Then again, I know some who have so many FCs the only "pelt" they are looking for has an "N" in front of it. And when they do get that, there will be those who say it doesn't count unless they did it all alone with no help from anyone.

There's always another brass ring.

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ... at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

I was brought up in the old school, rather keep one's mouth and be thought a fool, then open one's mouth and remove all doubt. Hopefully we have a bright following on RTF that can distinguish between the two . Many have helped me along the way. I respond as some do here to give back to the dog sports as my contribution that I owe to those who came before me. It is called insight. Marvin tried to make a change as an example with outing the judges that he felt through stats etc that perhaps shouldn't be judging. He was told he had too critical eye for lack of a nicer word. At the time I even had my feathers ruffled . Now after looking back and looking what is out there judging AKC field trials hmm maybe he is on to something. Eight point plus judges that don't even have all-dogs or run the stake they are asked to judge. The various programs out there are kinda like a college prof I had in criminal justice, he said , I don't have to see/be involved in a civil riot, I can just read about it to experience it. Now that went over big time to guys that were directly involved in civil disturbances as police officers and students in his class. I just have to read about dog training and don't have to really train dogs. Hopefully we can see the difference.
    Earl Dillow

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post

And this language doesn't suggest that Marvin is saying that "pelts" - which remain undefined - establish the validity of a person's opinion? Really?
    What got me involved is this quoted entire thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    If you have a 1st & last name I'll check my database & see if you have any pelts . There are a lot of dogs with what you describe in their DNA, bringing it to the level it is useful is another major step.
    I believe I have gone to the datbase. What I have found is that it has not been updated in years. Furthermore, it appears to not be functional as I can not click a link that takes me to the definition of a "pelt" or frankly, I can't find any links to any measurements of credentials or accomplishments.
    I do sincerely want to know the definition of a "pelt".

I totally get the metaphor of "pelts" and the idea that one should not take advice from a trapper with no pelts. I understand. But when a database is mentioned, I'd like to understand what the data is and how it is measured.
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    What got me involved is this quoted entire thread:

I believe I have gone to the datbase. What I have found is that it has not been updated in years. Furthermore, it appears to not be functional as I can not click a link that takes me to the definition of a "pelt" or frankly, I can't find any links to any measurements of credentials or accomplishments.
    I do sincerely want to know the definition of a "pelt".

I totally get the metaphor of "pelts" and the idea that one should not take advice from a trapper with no pelts. I understand. But when a database is mentioned, I'd like to understand what the data is and how it is measured.
    I think there are numerous data bases that can be checked. AKC judges directory, points & awards search, find retrieves, entry express just to start the ball rolling, to see what experience someone has. I am not sure that Marvin was talking just about his data base. Then there is the old phone call or text routine ie: do you know so & so from your area?

All are data bases of sorts.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Well, I guess we will all have to wait until Marvin decides to enlighten us on what constitutes a "pelt"
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

I don't have many pelts and hide behind a screen name but my opinion is.... the first thing I look for in a pup is a great bitch that I know personally.

HA Loving the metaphors, I have no pelts, I've never ran FT's, oh wait I've ran one. I've a little green pelt, probably won't ever have anymore, as that type of trapping, is just not my choice of game. Now as far as Bottoms, I've seen good bottoms and I've seen weak bottoms, where shorts will slip w/o a belt. To me it seems like your most likely born with a good bottom, but it still needs to be maintained, or it may weaken . Still I can really get behind breeding for a great bottom .
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 04-09-2013 at 01:40 AM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Quote Originally Posted by SamLab1 View Post
    ... the first thing I look for in a pup is a great bitch that I know personally.
    I would echo this - with a slight addition - "or someone I trust knows personally." For me, it all starts with the dam.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

How many pelts did Rex Carr have?

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Quote Originally Posted by Gun_Dog2002 View Post
    How many pelts did Rex Carr have?

/Paul
    In light of a recent thread on Rex Carr I thought someone should bring this up.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."