The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone vaccinate for Bordetella themselves?

Default Anyone vaccinate for Bordetella themselves?

Considering doing this myself w/ the intranasal vaccine. Considerable savings per dog and feel w/ our traveling/exposure to other dogs it's important to keep up on w/ our dogs. Anyone have any input on this?
    APR HR Big Air Buster
    APR HR Crown's Pistol Pete
    Crown's King Gordon
    HR Tiger Mtn's Bodacious Blond
    CPR SHR Lone Tree's Who Wrote the Book?
    CPR SHR Lone Tree's Kimblederry Rose

I give the bordetella myself. I purchase through Fosters & Smith because their expiration dates are lengthy, and they pack and ship vaccines well. When I get the kennel cough vaccine, I purchase the one with the parainfluenza included. After the bad kennel cough outbreak in wisconsin last year, my vet is now recommending that as well. With 8 labs, for those of you who say you want to support your vet, I am not taking much $$ out of his pocket, but I am freeing up other funds to get more important things taken care of. It works for both of us. Since my dogs are competitive, I give it every 6 months.
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

I give all my shots myself, Bordetella, included, with the exception of Rabies of course, and I have those done at a clinic. Heartworm testing done at a clinic also. Foster & Smith are a good source, and you can check with your local feed store. Always check the expiration date on any shots before you buy them.

Susan,

Do you need a prescription to order it from dr. F&S?

Given the fact I just paid $26 for Riot yesterday and I have 3 dogs and give every 6 months, I need a less expensive option. I love my Vets, but that is an awfully high markup for a bordetella vaccine. They get a lot of my hard earned $$ as it is. Also it was a Vet tech that squished the vaccine in his nose, not my Vet, didn't even see him. Average price for Dr. F&S is $4.00, so....

FOM
    Last edited by FOM; 04-07-2013 at 10:59 AM.
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Ok, you guys got me thinking on this. I have not given my dogs Bordetella because they are never boarded or kenneled away from home. But....like Lainee, I have three dogs, and the trips to the vet seem to keep getting more and more expensive. Now I have added $250 in rattlesnake vaccines. Do any of you know which vaccines I can safely and legally give at home? Do you have to get the prescriptions from the vet? Seems like they might not want to do that when we seldom go to the vet except for these vaccinations.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post
    Do you need a prescription to order it from dr. F&S?
    No. but in some states, you need a prescription for needles if you are giving vaccines that require the use of a needle. I give MOST of my own shots, as well. I do re-use needles, until they get dull, and then toss. You can clean them. I soak in alcohol. They used to in the old days. (My state requires a script).

I don't buy from the feed store, because customers leave the door open on the fridge, and you don't know if it sat on the loading dock, etc.

I also don't give my own lepto because of the potential for a reaction. I don't give my own Lymes because as of right now, the vaccine houses do not carry the new safer versions, only the old lymes shot that can potentially push a dog in to lymes pyelonephritis (big time kidney failure).

I just purchase the new lymes from my vet, and self administer. I typically get a small price break since they aren't delivering it.

There are also vaccine clinics held at Petco through LuvMyPet.com. You save the office call. They do not give the new lymes either, FYI. The clinics are like a cattle call though, so be prepared to stand in line. I gave FC Honor his rabies shot there last year. The vet was ecstatic to see a physically fit labrador and was thrilled to pet a field champion!
    Susan

[QUOTE=JusticeDog;1091079]

I don't buy from the feed store, because customers leave the door open on the fridge, and you don't know if it sat on the loading dock, etc.

I can assure you F&S has a loading dock too, as does the Post office... Workers at all jobs take breaks and lunches with freight on the dock ,etc........ It's a gamble even from the vet , the way I figure it. BUT - my Tractor Supply refrigerated vaccines are in a locked fridge ,and they come and open it on request , so that is where I go .
    SEMPER FI . FROM MY COLD , DEAD HANDS .

www.bashakilllabradors.com

[QUOTE=John Kelder;1091102]
    Quote Originally Posted by JusticeDog View Post

I can assure you F&S has a loading dock too, as does the Post office... Workers at all jobs take breaks and lunches with freight on the dock ,etc........ It's a gamble even from the vet , the way I figure it. BUT - my Tractor Supply refrigerated vaccines are in a locked fridge ,and they come and open it on request , so that is where I go .
    My vaccines get shippied over night and they don't even ship until it can get there the next day ie: no vaccines are shipped on Saturday. And you are lucky your feed store locks the fridge. My feed store does not lock it, packages have been opened. I've found expired vaccines, etc. You are lucky that yours locks the door. I would feel better if the ones in my area did.

I think a company that is owned by vets is very conscious of the need to get them in the fridge. So, I do have more confidence in them. To each their own. I also get more of a choice of manufacturer when I order from a vaccine supply house. I am a bit brand specific.

I am also sure that my vets' workers taken the highest priority to get the medicines in the refrigerator if that is where it needs to be. My vets have a dedicated staff that have been there for a long time, and they just "get it."
    Last edited by JusticeDog; 04-07-2013 at 02:20 PM.
    Susan

I have ordered and have given my own nasal bordetella (IntraTrac 3 or now, Nobivac) for years w/o issue. I order most of my vaccines from Revival, shipped overnight by Fedex. I also do combos and the Lepto (Vanguard L-4) myself. I have a drawer in my garage fridge where I place thawed gel packs above and below the vaccine boxes to ensure temperature fluctuations can't get the vaccines too cold at times. It stays at a pretty constant 38F in that drawer. I also try to give all my vaccines during regular vet hours, just in case. So far, so good, no reactions-- but there are certain brands that I stick to. Some brands seem to have higher reaction rates than others, but I think you are very safe w/ the nasal forms of bordetella anyhow. It's the injectable form that seems to have a higher reaction rate from what I've read.

Btw, always check the temp of your vaccines when they arrive. If they arrive warm, don't use, and report it to the company who will usually stand behind their product and shipping.

I give this (2ice/yr) and the MAIN problem is getting it up their nose. STRONG SQUIRMY buggers. I need a vet-tech course on squirting stuff up dog's noses...

(Once/yr might be enuf.)