RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Anyone vaccinate for Bordetella themselves?

6K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  Rhenee Fadling 
#1 ·
Considering doing this myself w/ the intranasal vaccine. Considerable savings per dog and feel w/ our traveling/exposure to other dogs it's important to keep up on w/ our dogs. Anyone have any input on this?

#2 ·
I give the bordetella myself. I purchase through Fosters & Smith because their expiration dates are lengthy, and they pack and ship vaccines well. When I get the kennel cough vaccine, I purchase the one with the parainfluenza included. After the bad kennel cough outbreak in wisconsin last year, my vet is now recommending that as well. With 8 labs, for those of you who say you want to support your vet, I am not taking much $$ out of his pocket, but I am freeing up other funds to get more important things taken care of. It works for both of us. Since my dogs are competitive, I give it every 6 months.

#3 ·
I give all my shots myself, Bordetella, included, with the exception of Rabies of course, and I have those done at a clinic. Heartworm testing done at a clinic also. Foster & Smith are a good source, and you can check with your local feed store. Always check the expiration date on any shots before you buy them.

#4 · (Edited)
Susan,

Do you need a prescription to order it from dr. F&S?

Given the fact I just paid $26 for Riot yesterday and I have 3 dogs and give every 6 months, I need a less expensive option. I love my Vets, but that is an awfully high markup for a bordetella vaccine. They get a lot of my hard earned $$ as it is. Also it was a Vet tech that squished the vaccine in his nose, not my Vet, didn't even see him. Average price for Dr. F&S is $4.00, so....

FOM

#6 ·
Do you need a prescription to order it from dr. F&S?
No. but in some states, you need a prescription for needles if you are giving vaccines that require the use of a needle. I give MOST of my own shots, as well. I do re-use needles, until they get dull, and then toss. You can clean them. I soak in alcohol. They used to in the old days. (My state requires a script).

I don't buy from the feed store, because customers leave the door open on the fridge, and you don't know if it sat on the loading dock, etc.

I also don't give my own lepto because of the potential for a reaction. I don't give my own Lymes because as of right now, the vaccine houses do not carry the new safer versions, only the old lymes shot that can potentially push a dog in to lymes pyelonephritis (big time kidney failure).

I just purchase the new lymes from my vet, and self administer. I typically get a small price break since they aren't delivering it.

There are also vaccine clinics held at Petco through LuvMyPet.com. You save the office call. They do not give the new lymes either, FYI. The clinics are like a cattle call though, so be prepared to stand in line. I gave FC Honor his rabies shot there last year. The vet was ecstatic to see a physically fit labrador and was thrilled to pet a field champion! :)

#5 ·
Ok, you guys got me thinking on this. I have not given my dogs Bordetella because they are never boarded or kenneled away from home. But....like Lainee, I have three dogs, and the trips to the vet seem to keep getting more and more expensive. Now I have added $250 in rattlesnake vaccines. Do any of you know which vaccines I can safely and legally give at home? Do you have to get the prescriptions from the vet? Seems like they might not want to do that when we seldom go to the vet except for these vaccinations.

#9 ·
I have ordered and have given my own nasal bordetella (IntraTrac 3 or now, Nobivac) for years w/o issue. I order most of my vaccines from Revival, shipped overnight by Fedex. I also do combos and the Lepto (Vanguard L-4) myself. I have a drawer in my garage fridge where I place thawed gel packs above and below the vaccine boxes to ensure temperature fluctuations can't get the vaccines too cold at times. It stays at a pretty constant 38F in that drawer. I also try to give all my vaccines during regular vet hours, just in case. So far, so good, no reactions-- but there are certain brands that I stick to. Some brands seem to have higher reaction rates than others, but I think you are very safe w/ the nasal forms of bordetella anyhow. It's the injectable form that seems to have a higher reaction rate from what I've read.

Btw, always check the temp of your vaccines when they arrive. If they arrive warm, don't use, and report it to the company who will usually stand behind their product and shipping.

#12 ·
After losing a whole litter of pups to Parvo AFTER being vaccinated with Tractor Supply Vaccines I get all of mine from Revival. Get my dogs vaccines cold, in good shape next day. Very reasonable priced.

#13 ·
I have my vet do it once a year, just had a dog get one last week and it was 23.40 for the shot. I do a 6 month booster on those that go to the ob club on a regular basis myself. This covers the boarding requirements with the annual from the vet and boosts those most at risk. We have had some nasty stuff going around here in the last year or so. My vet has zero issue with this as they only do it if they think the dog will be at risk anyway.

#15 ·
Thanks all for your time and responses. I ordered from Lambert Vet Supply, will come in a cooler and is $3.45 a dose, much better than $15.00 per dog.

#16 ·
Just a little FYI do NOT re-use needles/syringes. Could be a very bad infection, or a damaged vaccine. Also if you try to clean then in alcohol, the residue could damage the vaccine. Find a way to get a fresh needle for each injection, it just not worth the risk. Been practicing for over 30 years, never re-used a needle.

#17 ·
NateB:

Excellent advice, but I'm using the intranasal bordatella vaccine; each dose has it's own nasal applicator.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.