The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: bird work

Default bird work

After initially introducing a pup to birds (dead and alive) how often are you guys working with birds? With past pups I always used dead birds about once a week but now I question if it is necessary. Normally once I get them going on birds it doesn't seem like the interest ever goes away. What do you guys think? Be nice to clear up some freezer space.

Once a month.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

We try to use birds as much as posibable. I try not to throw our ducks in the water. I help at alot of field trial and hunt test and can usually pick up some birds at the end.

If your married, I would find an old freezer just for ducks. Their cheaper that a divorce lawer.

I use birds for all of my marks. If they go in the water, when I get home I put my bird dryer on top of the A/C unit. Fluffs em right back up and then refreeze. I feel like sometimes my dogs lose interest and don't try as hard when marking without birds. Now all blinds and pile work are bumpers and dokenns. Everyone will be different on this but most of the time it is going to come down to how many birds you can get or have on hand. When they are hard to come by you have no choice to use bumpers. It's one of those..."If you got em, use em" Type things.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
    PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

HRCH Wag'in Codie Jo SH
    HRCH Mossbend's Remington Deluxe
    HRCH Double Barrel's Dust Cloud JH
    HR Doc's Heavy Artillery

I use birds as much as possible, even on my land blinds. Just a little thing extra for the dog, helps keep a good attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by davewolfe View Post
    We try to use birds as much as posibable. I try not to throw our ducks in the water. I help at alot of field trial and hunt test and can usually pick up some birds at the end.

If your married, I would find an old freezer just for ducks. Their cheaper that a divorce lawer.
    lol. maybe im lucky but my wife loves a freezer full of dead birds.

Quote Originally Posted by labster View Post
    After initially introducing a pup to birds (dead and alive) how often are you guys working with birds? With past pups I always used dead birds about once a week but now I question if it is necessary. Normally once I get them going on birds it doesn't seem like the interest ever goes away. What do you guys think? Be nice to clear up some freezer space.
    My experience has been like yours, once kindled the fire for birds never goes out. But that for much handier bumpers may, as may the effectiveness of using birds to proof concepts. I've twenty or thirty flighted homers in the loft at any given time but use them very sparingly. As mentioned on a similar recent thread, it's not at all uncommon for me to butcher birds for the table to thin the loft without shooting them for the dogs first when it better suits what we're doing in training.
    If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2012-2013 season log)