The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Water Entry

Default Water Entry

My 11 month old pup is doing his pile work and he just zooms out and comes right back, no shopping. Today I took him to the river for a training day. I also took my female 3 year old. I planned on letting him honor my girl which he did pretty well. A couple of mess ups, but for a first time he did well. His turn came up for a thrown single and he just kind of tip toed out and lazily went in got the bumper and brought it back. His water entry was terrible for the rest of the outing. Just lazy. All my dogs including his mom have a great no nonsense straight in water entry. Its not his first time for water training and I know he's not afraid of water he swims like a fish. If he'll get to it..
    How do I get him to get moving? I want that nice big jump and splash entry. Not sure if I'm asking to much of him right now. The river comes out of a dam about two miles up from where I train. so it's pretty much the same temperature all year round probably high 50s but it's what I have to work with, outside air was high 60s to 70s. He hasn't gotten to water force yet. On his second throw he swam the whole way across which was at least 100 yards. Unfortunately he missed the bumper because of the current and handler error.
    Last edited by fishin444; 04-07-2013 at 08:52 PM.

I wouldn't worry about it to much. Once he gets comfortable with the colder water, Im sure he will be fine. And if this is where you normally do water work, then I would say he just may have not been to into it this particular day. Dogs, just like humans, have the days where they are on point and feel super human, and other days where all they wanna do is lay around and not do anything. Just keep at it, and more than likely he will come around to his normal self.

If you want a better water entry you might start by let he compete with your older dog for the bumper. For a young dog I will take an older dog throw a bumper, who ever doesn't make there first I will throw them one to bring back too.

It might help if you could find a shallow pond thats warmer.

I would try that before I tried pressure, Just my 2 cents.

Just something to think about, his first task of the day was to not go (honor),in which you said he did good so you probably praised him for it and then you soon after asked him to go (retrieve) from roughly the same spot you just honored from. 2 completely different tasks within minutes of each other and basically the same spot.

If this is the first time you have noticed a water entry like this it may be because you confused him ,he stayed put on the honor ,and was a good boy,but was confused on what it took to be a good dog next. ,Just a different perspective...may be way off.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn White View Post
    Just something to think about, his first task of the day was to not go (honor),in which you said he did good so you probably praised him for it and then you soon after asked him to go (retrieve) from roughly the same spot you just honored from. 2 completely different tasks within minutes of each other and basically the same spot.

If this is the first time you have noticed a water entry like this it may be because you confused him ,he stayed put on the honor ,and was a good boy,but was confused on what it took to be a good dog next. ,Just a different perspective...may be way off.
    I was thinking what you said Shawn, but just didn't know how to say it.

Quote Originally Posted by fishin444 View Post
    ....I want that nice big jump and splash entry.....
    I don't. And not just because of the safety aspect.

A dog with a confident water attitude, charges into it.
    When a dog views something as a barrier, they either go around it, go under it, or jump over it.

When they know it's not a barrier, they just plow right through it.

I actually took him up river about 50 yards from the spot he was working on the honor. Possibly not far enough. Some good advice so far will take it into account Thanks

One of the best dogs I ever had did not have a big water entry. Especially the first time into the water, he would ease in. Then, if doing a drill where I had repeated entries at the same place, he would plow in.

Rowdy is the same way, first time ease in, then plow in for subsquent entries at the same place.

I like this for safety reasons. The big entries in a strange place could result in a significant injury.

I don't think that anyone would disagree that FC AFC Pirate is a good dog. In the videos of him I have seen, he eases into the water.

As long as your dog has a decent attitude about water, accept his approach for what it is. Just my two cents.
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 04-08-2013 at 07:22 AM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

i have the same "problem" my pup is 17 months old, and has a good water attitude, but not a good entry at all. She eases into water. This scares me alot of the time because i feel like this lack of momentum might cause a no go or cause her to turn around on a long mark? on a fun bumper she plows, and on short marks she plows but on long marks she eases. i guess when we complete water force and swim by this might improve her entry.
    Train,Hunt,Enjoy