The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: live flyers for training ...pigeons

Default live flyers for training ...pigeons

Ok so I just built a fairly large coop at my place to hold and breed my own pigeons for training only. I am just wondering how you guys use pigeons for training I.e. launchers, planting, Bird boys? And do you use anything to keep them alive longer? Also what you do with them after they have completely had it lol.
    Thanks!

Note : it will hold roughly 30 birds at any given time.
    Captain Drake of Dutchess "Drake"
    Kodiak Miss Angel "Koda" R.I.P.

I also use pigeons for training and have a small coop. I use pigeons with flight featers on one wing cut or pulled. The amount of feathers you pull or cut is depends on how far you wish the bird to fly. I throw out of a Gunners Up Winger type thrower by putting the pigeon to sleep. Out of a box launcher awake. I use a box launcher for steady to shot. I do not use pigeons for trail as I do not know how well they would hold up. I believe it is best to leave enough flight feathers so the pigeons do not go crashing into the ground. I have some pigeons that last a hole training year (I choose not to keep them through the winter). Others just do not seem as tough. I try to rotate pigeons and use each pigien only once per week. I do not train daily with pigeons.
    I freeze deceased pigeons and use for training in the same formate as with live birds.

It takes a little time to figure out the flight feather numbers or lengths. You will get it figured out. I donaterd a few pigeons back to nature.

I hear ya. I do not have any launchers but that's what little brothers are for! I have been catching a few as I need them and after using them a few times they seem to get wet (dog slobber) and not coast anymore so I have to let them dry out and rest up until the next session! I also catch a few to use as "chase pigeons" were I simply put it on the ground with wings clipped to really get that "hunt" instinct going and a hard drive twords the bird.
    Captain Drake of Dutchess "Drake"
    Kodiak Miss Angel "Koda" R.I.P.