The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Trouble with whistle sit

Default Trouble with whistle sit

Hello everyone,

Im new to this site so bear with me. I have a 10 month old chocolate female. She is FF, CC, and is coming along nicely in both obedience and field work. What I'm having trouble with right now is whistle to sit. I need to get this down pat so I can work on casting and more advanced stuff. Right now where she is at is I can walk her at heel on a leash and she will sit on the whistle. However, when she is out away from me and i blow the whistle she runs back to me and sits either in front of me facing me or at my side. Ive heard of a few techniques, but what do you guys and gals think is the best approach.

Thanks,

Nick

I think most people have the same problem when they teach whistle sit for the first time. I've found it helps to teach a moving sit first, since you say your dog will already sit on the whistle when she's heeling next to you. Teach her to sit from in motion while you keep moving away from her, first at a walk, then increase the pace to a jog, then a run. At first she'll try to follow you after sitting but they learn this pretty quickly and I believe it helps them learn the concept of sitting where they are, instead of next to you.

Read this article by Pat Nolan on teaching a good whistle sit. Best written article I've ever seen on how to do it. Good luck!
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Thank you Julie,

I did what you had told me to do with the walking and jogging thing. She is catching on to that pretty nicely.

Thanks again!