The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: handling question-line

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    I missed the edit.

I agree that's a good read.

Particularly the parts that say; "You are more interested in improving casting skills and maintaining control than in running blinds with elaborate diversions."

And; "You should run the pattern blinds with diversions for several days, or until you feel your dog has a good understanding of changing directions with your casts. It is not necessary that he line every blind or run lines very tight to the diversions."
    Agree it is a good article to read and I suggest everyone turn to that page. You are not sending the dog to the sane blind repeatedly. You change the Gunners around. It says you are more interested in casting skills and maintaining control. Very good article p. 37 That for directing us there.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA

HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI

Metras's Hashtag Mickey

Another neat little tid-bit, is at the end of the article preceding the section on Pattern Blinds with Diversions.

It goes a little something like this; "By the time a dog runs his fifth or sixth blind drill, he is often lining the blinds - that is, lining directly to the blind without any casts. At this point, you should quit running blind drills........"

I wonder why that is? Oh yeah, he goes on to say why, in the same sentence.

"..........because, you don't want the dog to become too accustomed to going back to a blind he's just been to."
    "You should continue handling training with diversion work on the pattern blind field."

Quote Originally Posted by copterdoc View Post
    Another neat little tid-bit, is at the end of the article preceding the section on Pattern Blinds with Diversions.

It goes a little something like this; "By the time a dog runs his fifth or sixth blind drill, he is often lining the blinds - that is, lining directly to the blind without any casts. At this point, you should quit running blind drills........"

I wonder why that is? Oh yeah, he goes on to say why, in the same sentence.

"..........because, you don't want the dog to become too accustomed to going back to a blind he's just been to."
    "You should continue handling training with diversion work on the pattern blind field."
    So again I encourage all to read the article.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA

HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI

Metras's Hashtag Mickey