RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Pelts

5K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  roseberry 
#1 ·
Are the points awarded product for training & exhibiting a FT retriever successfully, IMO. That applies to Open, Am & Derby. Some folks have someone set their traps & only glean the results, others do the scouting, set the traps, walk the trapline & pelt the product. But it is the only way to measure publicly available records.

As the janitor asked for my record - 3 placing AA dogs including an AFC, 7 placing derby dogs including a Derby lister - More in Canada but mostly in AKC events. 1st placing in 1964, last in 2004. Qualified both here & Canada for their Nationals. The placings are equal in all pointed stakes. As for greenies, I have enough to cover a fairly large lawn, I do not consider them pelts, just participation ribbons. I only wish that we would have had the training advice & tools that are available today. I've done a lot of training with some very knowledgeable Am's & spent a lot of days at McKenna U.

As Earl said on the other thread, learning things from a book don't get the job done. My favorite prof's in school made more consulting in the summer than they did teaching. Prof Coyle was a whiz in the Civil Engineering world while Stumper Stevens, my mineralogy & crystallography prof made a bundle in the oil patch during the summer.

As Susan posted the info, for the most part, is publicly available. It was offered to Retriever News & the RAC but it was not what they wanted. As for making it publicly available, there are comments on the individual records not fit for unknowledgeable consumption. That's why it's MY database!

Were I more computer literate I would start the site up again & may later, but for now, have a full plate. Rest assured, it was a revelation to me about what happens in the Retriever World & the things folks will do to gain an edge & be noticed, not all ethical :(.

See less See more
#2 ·
a truckload of muskrat will pay about the same as one spotted bellied bobcat

#3 ·
Marvin

Sincere thanks for your detail.

It seems fair to say that your definition of a pelt is all age points and titles. Is that accurate? I don't know Copterdoc's name, but I am fairly sure that by this definition, his count is zero. Similarly, by this definition, mine is zero also.

Again, thank you for taking the time to give such a detailed response.

Chris

EDIT: I apologize. I went back and read again. Derby points also count. I have a grand total of one!

EDIT #2: I did not ask for your record, but I again thank you for the detail and time to type the reply.

#19 ·
Marvin

Sincere thanks for your detail.

It seems fair to say that your definition of a pelt is all age points and titles. Is that accurate? I don't know Copterdoc's name, but I am fairly sure that by this definition, his count is zero. Similarly, by this definition, mine is zero also.

Again, thank you for taking the time to give such a detailed response.

Chris

EDIT: I apologize. I went back and read again. Derby points also count. I have a grand total of one!

EDIT #2: I did not ask for your record, but I again thank you for the detail and time to type the reply.
Chris,

Placings are all that count! Points & titles are a function of what the judges may want that day & the trainers ability to get time off for the competitions. I've known some very good dog people that never titled a dog who were also good judges. It's says something about their commitment to the game & their ability to put their thoughts to the test when they can train a competitive dog, continously. As I have posted repeatedly, the journey to dog knowledge is neither short nor easy :cool:. Marvin

#4 ·
I wonder Marv,
as this has drifted forth and back from our POTUS banter and hear.
We spoke of athletic competition and school sports in other threads.
Up and over here with school sports not all schools are equal.
We have division a schools and division b and the two never meet.
I do not know if it is the same up and over in your neck of the woods.
But my point, a student from a division A school may rise to the top
and become state champion. And so may a Division B student.
They will both have a similar trophy for the parents to proudly display.
Separated only by the school they attend in the town they are born into
or the University vs. state college they chose.
So who is the more true champion, the division A or the division B student?

#12 ·
I think you have to skin them then put them on a wall. Not the easiest thing to do with feathers ;)

#13 ·
Marvin, I can only assume you know the story of the actual Chessie Pelt?

#14 ·
Marvin, I can only assume you know the story of the actual Chessie Pelt?
I don't but was smiling at the folks showing their meager pile of birds. I grew up in SD on the fringes of the potholes in the 30's & 40's. We used to go into the stubble at night & knock enough birds in the head with a pitchfork handle to enjoy canned pheasant all year long. I've seen a picture of a 8 x 20 truck bed solid with roosters. Along with sluicing ducks on the potholes for meat during WWII, a well placed shot sometimes meant there were 2 trips to bring home the kill :cool:. I ate so much poorly prepared duck that I still to this day am not particularly fond of it. Fortunately I had neighbors in some of the places we lived willing to take plucked & gutted ducks off my hands for free, so the dogs got to do what they enjoyed. I shoot nothing we do not use.

#27 ·
marvin is right about shelby and jd400........i shoot more mallards out of a kick winger every morning before 8:00 am than them boys got pictures of!;-)

shhhh.....shelby you only supposed to kill 4 greenies in ga last year!

#26 ·
Uhh Marvin, I did think that the "meager" comment lacked decorum

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.