The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pelts

Quote Originally Posted by jd6400 View Post
    I also want to know how y'all kept them chessie's from killin eachother over those birds!

Quote Originally Posted by Cut em Shelby View Post
    Do these count?
    I think you have to skin them then put them on a wall. Not the easiest thing to do with feathers
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

Marvin, I can only assume you know the story of the actual Chessie Pelt?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    Marvin, I can only assume you know the story of the actual Chessie Pelt?
    I don't but was smiling at the folks showing their meager pile of birds. I grew up in SD on the fringes of the potholes in the 30's & 40's. We used to go into the stubble at night & knock enough birds in the head with a pitchfork handle to enjoy canned pheasant all year long. I've seen a picture of a 8 x 20 truck bed solid with roosters. Along with sluicing ducks on the potholes for meat during WWII, a well placed shot sometimes meant there were 2 trips to bring home the kill . I ate so much poorly prepared duck that I still to this day am not particularly fond of it. Fortunately I had neighbors in some of the places we lived willing to take plucked & gutted ducks off my hands for free, so the dogs got to do what they enjoyed. I shoot nothing we do not use.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

[QUOTE=Marvin S;1091828]I don't but was smiling at the folks showing their meager pile of birds. I grew up in SD on the fringes of the potholes in the 30's & 40's. We used to go into the stubble at night & knock enough birds in the head with a pitchfork handle to enjoy canned pheasant all year long. I've seen a picture of a 8 x 20 truck bed solid with roosters. Along with sluicing ducks on the potholes for meat during WWII, a well placed shot sometimes meant there were 2 trips to bring home the kill . I ate so much poorly prepared duck that I still to this day am not particularly fond of it. Fortunately I had neighbors in some of the places we lived willing to take plucked & gutted ducks off my hands for free, so the dogs got to do what they enjoyed. I shoot nothing we do not use.[/QUOTE.....................................
    Last edited by jd6400; 04-09-2013 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post

So who is the more true champion, the division A or the division B student?
    A comes before B in order so A is the true champion.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    I wonder Marv,
    as this has drifted forth and back from our POTUS banter and hear.
    We spoke of athletic competition and school sports in other threads.
    Up and over here with school sports not all schools are equal.
    We have division a schools and division b and the two never meet.
    I do not know if it is the same up and over in your neck of the woods.
    But my point, a student from a division A school may rise to the top
    and become state champion. And so may a Division B student.
    They will both have a similar trophy for the parents to proudly display.
    Separated only by the school they attend in the town they are born into
    or the University vs. state college they chose.
    So who is the more true champion, the division A or the division B student?
    We were just treated to 3 outstanding games at the highest level of college basketball . Though one of those schools was what is termed in BB parlance as a Mid-Major all games were in doubt until the final 30 seconds. Pick your player & say you want a retriever like that & are wiling to put in the effort to attain that goal. Though I must say I did not see any players look very Chessy like .

There is a major difference in all levels of sports. The inability, due to limited scholarships has leveled that playing field. Anyone can play the retriever sports - but I ask you - do you have the time, the skills & the knowledge to play at the FT level. It is not for the faint of heart, so don't disparage it. That all dogs regardless of venue are being trained not to chase cars is admirable.

My HS coach had been an ASer in IN, offered several big college rides when graduating but chose to go to an NAIA school. We used the zone press in the late 40's made famous by Wooden in the 70's. He had an offer when he graduated from the NAIA school to try for the Backup PG position with the Lakers but chose to coach as the money at that time was better. When I asked him why he chose the small school he talked about the pressure of playing big time sports, not much different than playing the FT game successfully. I had some of those types of offers when I graduated from HS & in the service. I didn't relate to that until I was finishing up @ UW. One of my classmates was the brother of a UW BB'er, not a life I would want to lead, but the athletes for the most part in those days were also expected to be students. My classmate was a good example of book smart, the only B he got on his way to a doctorate in Engineering was in a 4th year Chem course. Yet he could not relate to placing the grizzly rails over an ore pass so the ore slid down slope. We have folks who judge who are the same way .

Marvin S

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    I don't but was smiling at the folks showing their meager pile of birds

I think that your sentence above reveals all that anyone needs to know about you, Marvin.
    Last edited by Ted Shih; 04-09-2013 at 03:54 PM.
    Competition does not build character - It reveals it.

Home of:
    FC/AFC Freeridin Wowie Zowie (2003 NARC Finalist)
    FC/AFC Sky Hy Husker Power
    FC/AFC Freeridin Smooth Operator
    FC/AFC Freeridin Vampire Slayer (2007 NARC Finalist)
    AFC Freeridin Maserati (Double Header Winner)

www.freeridinretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    Marvin

Sincere thanks for your detail.

It seems fair to say that your definition of a pelt is all age points and titles. Is that accurate? I don't know Copterdoc's name, but I am fairly sure that by this definition, his count is zero. Similarly, by this definition, mine is zero also.

Again, thank you for taking the time to give such a detailed response.

Chris

EDIT: I apologize. I went back and read again. Derby points also count. I have a grand total of one!

EDIT #2: I did not ask for your record, but I again thank you for the detail and time to type the reply.
    Chris,

Placings are all that count! Points & titles are a function of what the judges may want that day & the trainers ability to get time off for the competitions. I've known some very good dog people that never titled a dog who were also good judges. It's says something about their commitment to the game & their ability to put their thoughts to the test when they can train a competitive dog, continously. As I have posted repeatedly, the journey to dog knowledge is neither short nor easy . Marvin

Marvin S

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shih View Post
    I think that your sentence above reveals all that anyone needs to know about you, Marvin.
    & conversely, that you would take the time to enter this thread to take offense at a remark that would be passed over in a real men's coversation says much about you, Ted.

Marvin S