The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pup Stool Issues (Any advice PLEASE !!)

Default Pup Stool Issues (Any advice PLEASE !!)

I will try and keep this short ! I have a 15 week old BLF that I have been feeding 4Health puppy since 7 weeks old from the reccomendation from the breeder, being the ingredients was good, and was cheaper !

With that said I have had a stool issue with her from day 1 ! When she goes she always, and I mean always has 2 come out that is about perfect, and then the peanut butter comes ! It happens every time ! and I think when she does do her buisness, that she is passing way too much !

Last week we have had a fight with consistent loose stool from the get go, like soft serve ice cream ! I have gave her pumpkin, and yogurt now for 5 days, and it has gotten firmer, but is right back to the 2 or 3 perfect ones, and then the peanut butter behind it ! She did have surgery 14 days ago, for her Slater Harris fracture, and has been on crate rest, so I actually thru it off as to stress with the abnormal loose stools, but the problem is before the surgery, and now were back to the same again !

She was at the vet Friday for her last series of boosters, and I mentioned to the vet about the runny stools, and he checked her with a stool sample, and everything came back clear for any parasites !

As far as apperance, she looks perfect, and I always get comments about how fit she looks, and how her weight is great, and this was from the vet himself ! Her coat is shiney, and soft, and breath does not stink, and she is full of energy !

Not sure what to do ? My heart says I need to try a diffrent food, BUT her apperance is great, and healthy looking on the 4Health ! Not sure if this is just a puppy thing?? BUT I have never had a puppy with this kind of stool issues, and in the past I always feed Puppy Chow because I didn't know any better, and didn't know there was better foods out there !

I want to provide my pup with the best nutrition I can afford, and with the best ingredients ! I have compared brands, and looking at the 4Health label, it looks to have better ingredients than PPP or Euk, BUT I am no food expert, and maybe I am just missing something ???

I need some advice guys ! Please Help ! Were tired of the runs ! hahaha

I am not an expert, but I have had some similarexperience with one of our dogs. Turned out it was an allergy to something inthe food. I would chance her over to something that is completely differentjust to see if it helps. I have a new girl right now at 20 weeks. She is eatingPro Plan, Large Breed, I think it is Chicken and Rice based which most food forallergenic dogs are Chicken and Rice based....just a thought....

You could be feeding her too much. I'd try a little less food before I made a total switch.
    Bo Hanson

Bullpen's Hammerin HomeRun King 755 (Hank)
    Bullpen's Say It Ain't So Joe JH (Josie)

"If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over? "-John Wooden

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."-Henry Ford

Check your pm's.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

RAINMAKER- Thanks for the PM !

NOVEMBERWITCH- I have cut back as well already, down from the recommended 3 cups a day, to 2 cups spread out over 2 feedings !, been doing this for over 2 weeks without results. She is 15 weeks old, and weighed 24lbs. at vet friday, I hate to cut her back anymore ! Calories per cup I think is 395 ??

Keep in mind, your pup is also healing from surgery, primary is giving her proper nutrition to heal and grow as best as possible. I'd not mess with food, either change or quantity, without advice of ortho vet who did the surgery.
    Kim Pfister, Rainmaker Labs

Not to bash your dog food but I used that same brand dog food for the same reasons you are using it. I had problems with my young dogs and older dogs as well. I switched to Pro Plan and havent had any digestive problems since. 4health appears to have better ingredients, its cheaper, it also rated higher than pro plan on dog food advisor, but for some reason it doesn't seem to work well. There was another thread or two on here with people having the same problem.

I thought it was normal too, to be firm at first and then loose. After two doses of (Vet Recommended)ProPectalin, he cleared right up and hasn't had a problem since. Still feeding the same food brand too.

I also have always fed the minimum to what the bag suggested.

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

"soft serve" poops are NOT diarrhea and should not be treated as such. Most common causes are: over feeding or too "hot" of a food, an easily excitable dog, a dog that has been crated/cooped up too long, or a dog that has been aired after eating less than 6-8 hrs prior.

As long as the dog is getting plenty of water, is not showing other signs of illness (listless, pale gums, blood in stool, etc.) then you really don't have much to worry about short term. Since your dog is: 1) post surgery and recuperating with crate rest 2) is going through a growth spurt 3) most likely getting close to teething age, I really wouldn't worry about anything other than the hip Once she is ready for full time work outs, then try to get the firm stools.

You need to pick your "battles" and not stress out / worry about every little thing. Pups are ever changing, their poops are too!
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

Raina what do you mean by "hot" food. Is that measured in degrees or spices? Not being a smart@$$, I really want to know. If you mean degrees should the food be served cold? I have never thought about the temperature affecting the stool before. My one dog has the opposite problem of the OP dog. My dog's stool looks too hard.
    Terri