RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Treat Training

5K views 29 replies 20 participants last post by  BiG Boar 
#1 ·
At what point, age, or progress level do you stop using either hot dogs bits or small soft treats in training your pups? Right now we are having a blast and in no hurry her to rush her into training, but curious when I need to faze out the treats.

Thanks

#2 ·
I never stop.

Partially reenforced behaviors become the most reliable.

The schedule of reinforcement may “lessen” as the dog matures but my 11 year old and 6 year olds are still very very happy to get the occasional treat for the performance of behaviors.

#3 ·
I quit at about 3 months. But there is nothing magic about that age.

#6 ·
Never stop, just slow down.

#7 ·
I've got two FC/AFC's that still sit, come and down for a treat most every day.

I do wean them off treats when we start formalizing training at 5 or 6 months but I never really stop treats.

#10 ·
in every duck hunting parka or jacket I own, you will usually find a dog treat or two left over....also been known to have a petrified Dunkin Donut hole left in the blind bag from season's past....used to buy the pig's ears at Costco but those have been known to start a minor ruckus between the dogs

#11 ·
Just from my own experiences, like to wean pup off of those treat expectations when the time comes when you can re-enforce, and the pup understands it.
The time eventually comes, (speaking for myself), when it's a good idea to change those "want to's" into "have to's" and the Sunshine and Butterflies have to go.
But once pup understands what's expected of it without treats and will take praise as a trade off, I don't mind slippin' some hot dog bites back into the equation later :cool:

#12 ·
I am amending my response. I keep kibble in my jacket pocket and give it to them in the holding blind. A Dave Rorem technique. And they get treats at the end of training and bed time treats. But for actual training, as in my original post.

#14 ·
Sometimes I wonder about you John.

#19 ·
Depends entirely on the dog here. Some love food for ever. Others convert better to a retrieve/toy reward, others, even some labs prefer to play tug. Treats and other rewards should be viewed in order of importance to the dog and used accordingly. No magic knowledge from me there BTW, that's how it's done in a lot of other competitive venues and working dog programs.

#23 ·
bon,

a labrador retriever properly conditioned with "brim's" brand barbeque pork skins(only avalable in memphis and the mid south) and natural lite beer will never need to be force fetched.

#26 ·
Many (maybe most) people do not do that, the retrieve is the reward.

On the other hand I have seen a "clicked retrieve" where a treat was part of the training technique.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.