The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Southern Colorado

Default Southern Colorado

I am spending the summer in southern Colorado, Monte Vista,Alamosa area. Are there any lab people or trainers around that area?

Quote Originally Posted by woodyj View Post
    I am spending the summer in southern Colorado, Monte Vista,Alamosa area. Are there any lab people or trainers around that area?
    SW Colorado with places like Durango and Pagosa Springs should be a hotbed for retriever training, because it has nice temps virtually year round

BUT

trying to find usable training water that doesnt have current capable of sweeping a bumper or a dog downstream is almost impossible to find..add to that the Indian tribes are not exactly known for opening their lands for anything but trophy elk hunting...I have a bother that has lived in Durango for the past 30 years and if there was training water he would have found it and showed it to me already...there are parts of the San Juan and Animas rivers that are nice places to cool dogs off during the summer heat
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

There are several AKC clubs along the front range and one in Grand Junction. Southern CO HRC is active in the Pueblo, Canon City area. Years ago the Alb RC used to hold FT's at a place called Mt Blanca. I think they have closed. I spend time every summer in the Leadville area and train at an old Army base called Camp Hale. PM me if you want some contact info for SCHRC. JD
    One cannot reason someone out of something they were not reasoned into. - Jonathan Swift

There is calm water around the durango area. You just have to knock on doors of ritzy houses and ask if you can train your dog in their ponds. I got several near bayfield i can use. There is also quite a few waterholes that are for water trucks to fill from around.
    I hunt the animas and san Juan rivers. Give your gamer dogs a taste of moving water that hunting dogs deal with.

Im quite away from alamosa, so i can't help. I know there is the canajos river south of there heading towards chama.
    Last edited by Mark Teahan; 04-09-2013 at 06:47 PM.

Woody, I posted the same ? last year. Lots of words, but the answer appears to be no. The clubs that are nearest have no training grounds of their own. The obvious place would be Alamosa or Monte Vista themselves. But I can find no one in authority that is interested in talking about it. Bon is right, there SHOULD be areas, but all private land and closed.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Thanks everyone

There is the river running thru alamosa.

Southern CO HRC is in Pueblo and they have a test coming up soon but that's about 90-100 miles or so from Alamosa. Finding good water in this drought in the valley might be a problem but if you knock on some doors and ask nicely you should be able to at least find some water to work with. Whatever you do don't stick around for October down there because the duck hunting sucks

there is some beautiful water on the wildlife refuge near Alamosa, Pikes Peak Retriever Club used to hold field trials there, it hsn't been used in many years and don't know if training is allowed after waterfowl nesting season is over but it is worth exploring

http://www.fws.gov/alamosa/PDF/Monte_Vista_NWR_Map.pdf

If that doesn't work befriend Malcom Forbes, he owns around 100,000 acres I am told

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    there is some beautiful water on the wildlife refuge near Alamosa, Pikes Peak Retriever Club used to hold field trials there, it hsn't been used in many years and don't know if training is allowed after waterfowl nesting season is over but it is worth exploring

http://www.fws.gov/alamosa/PDF/Monte_Vista_NWR_Map.pdf

If that doesn't work befriend Malcom Forbes, he owns around 100,000 acres I am told
    Now that would be one hell of a trick since Mr Forbes passed away in 1990....
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"