The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Southern Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by EdA View Post
    there is some beautiful water on the wildlife refuge near Alamosa, Pikes Peak Retriever Club used to hold field trials there, it hsn't been used in many years and don't know if training is allowed after waterfowl nesting season is over but it is worth exploring

http://www.fws.gov/alamosa/PDF/Monte_Vista_NWR_Map.pdf

If that doesn't work befriend Malcom Forbes, he owns around 100,000 acres I am told

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Now that would be one hell of a trick since Mr Forbes passed away in 1990....
    Dr. Ed, that was the answer I got many times when I was looking last year. Those places are absolutely gorgeous and I can not find a soul that will discuss allowing dog training. I got passed from ranger to head ranger to super ranger, but never could find out who might actually be interested in hearing me out. And Bon, in 1990 I helped tie Malcom's boat to a dock in SC. (I don't know if the great man was still on the boat or not at the time). Does that qualify me to ask about training privileges?
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

there is some beautiful water on the wildlife refuge near Alamosa, Pikes Peak Retriever Club used to hold field trials there, it hsn't been used in many years and don't know if training is allowed after waterfowl nesting season is over but it is worth exploring

http://www.fws.gov/alamosa/PDF/Monte_Vista_NWR_Map.pdf

If that doesn't work befriend Malcom Forbes, he owns around 100,000 acres I am told
    Getting permission to train there is next to impossible (at least no one returned my phone calls, emails or letters) - I've checked out the Blanca Wildlife refuge too as a possible place to hold our trial and no joy. There was a fishing club near Blanca that use to host numerous HTs that has no water right now, hasn't for a few years...I know the place was sold a while back too.
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Mt. Blanca trout farm relied on irrigation water which is probably in short suppy, it was a pretty nice place, not lots of land but nice water and convenient to Alamosa

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Now that would be one hell of a trick since Mr Forbes passed away in 1990....
    Seance anyone?

Louis Bacon now owns the former Forbes ranch and has increased the acreage. As long as you are not a surveyor from XCEL trying to run a transmission line across his land he might let you use it. From what I am told he is a fairly avid hunter and fishermen.

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post
    Getting permission to train there is next to impossible (at least no one returned my phone calls, emails or letters) .
    Oh for the good old days, the late Ken Cory, successful field trialer and former Comptroller for the State of California had a very close personal friend who was a high ranking official in the Department of the Interior, sometimes a call to him from Ken could grease the wheels of bureaucracy but to my knowledge we no longer have a contact anywhere close to that one.

I think Ted Turner now owns all that land east and southeast of Fort Garland, all the way down towards Raton. The Vermajo ranch.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleHaul View Post
    Louis Bacon now owns the former Forbes ranch and has increased the acreage. As long as you are not a surveyor from XCEL trying to run a transmission line across his land he might let you use it. From what I am told he is a fairly avid hunter and fishermen.
    Thanks for the tip...

In 2007, London-based hedge fund manager Louis Bacon claimed his place on The Land Report 100 when he paid the heirs of Malcolm Forbes $175 million for Southern Colorado’s Trinchera Ranch. The 171,400-acre property is a haven of biodiversity and includes three of Colorado’s majestic Fourteeners. In the three short years since, Bacon has been recognized as a keen steward of the land; he’s even been singled out by Colorado’s Division of Wildlife for his support in their management of several species. Not surprisingly, Bacon opposes Xcel Energy and Tri-State Generation and Transmission Association’s proposed $180 million transmission line project across his ranch. “Having helped many others in their fights against outside, profitoriented polluters, I couldn’t shirk this battle when I know there is so much at stake for the San Luis Valley residents, the range, the environment, the animals, and for all of Colorado,” he told The Denver Post via email.
    Bacon enjoyed a well-established reputation as a land steward prior to buying Trinchera. He has put conservation easements on several trophy properties, including the Sound of Music Ranch on Wilson Mesa outside of Telluride, Cow Neck Farm in the Hamptons, and Robins Island in Peconic Bay at the eastern end of Long Island.
    In November, the Raleigh native added another signature property to his portfolio when he closed on North Carolina’s historic Orton Plantation, a colonial estate that was originally owned by an ancestor named Roger Moore. The 8,300-acre landmark had been owned by the Sprunt family since 1884 and is crowned by the last remaining pre-Civil War manor house on the Lower Cape Fear. (The grand structure was spared by Union forces, who used it as a military hospital.) According to the Wilmington Star News, revenue stamps associated with the deeds put the sale price of the Brunswick County estate at $45 million.
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

for what its worth,, Here's my tip.

national forest,, and beavers make SLOW water..

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"