The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Guy - First Post

Default New Guy - First Post

Hey Guys,

I'm new here. Just found this site, through another hunting site I frequent.
    I'm From BC Canada, do quite a bit of hunting, birds and big game. After really getting addicted to ducks last year, I have decided to finally take on the huge responsibility of a dog. Problem is I am allergic to labs and most dogs. That left me with about 5ish choices of retrieving dogs as far as I could see (with limited shedding). I Wanted something that was a real hunter too, not a show dog. I looked at poodles, Portuguese water dogs, Wire hair griffons, GWP's, and then found something called a Pudelpointer. As there isn't a lot of information on them, and most people initially think of labradoodle, I have included some information on them as they are a breed of their own, and not a mutt. This is the dog I will most likely end up with.
    Breed: Pudelpointer
    Type: Pointer

Hunting Style

The Pudelpointer is a versatile hunter bred for a combination of a very good nose plus speed, endurance and hunting desire. They will exhibit natural pointing and hunting instincts and will enthusiastically retrieve on land and water.General Appearance

The Pudelpointer is a large breed with a dense, wiry coat that is known for very limited shedding. Color should be liver or chestnut but black is also seen on occasion. Tails are generally docked to roughly 2/3 of the original full length.Size

Height usually ranges from 21 to 26 inches from the ground to the highest point of the shoulders and weight usually ranges between 44 and 66 pounds.Disposition

While not a popular breed in the United States, the Pudelpointer is becoming more widely recognized due to its combination of hunting ability and disposition. The breed is generally viewed as an excellent companion in a home environment and is easily trained.

and so that leaves me with a few questions. I am hoping to start with Bill Hillmann's puppy video, to start the training. Is this a good idea, even though this isn't a lab? He says its good for any type of retrieving dog. Is there any better video more suited for training a pointer? I am hoping to make this more of a duck dog, as thats what I do more of.

Here are some hunts from the past season

Welcome to the RTF! Sent you a PM.
    ~Willie Alderson

"Roxi" Alder Creeks Riparian Roxi MH QAA

"Teeter" Alder Creeks Teeter Maha

"Drake" Willey's Drake Seeker Supreme MH (2005-2014)

I would get around some and make sure you aren't allergic to them. Shedding has nothing to do with allergies. It is the dander that people are allergic to, not the hair.

This is a quote from a review on allergens. "Dog allergen, particularly Can f 1, is present in dander, saliva, urine, and serum. There are allergens specific to dog breeds, but all breeds produce allergenic proteins (even poodles and "hairless" dogs)."

Buck
    Last edited by Buck Mann; 04-11-2013 at 11:09 AM.

Welcome to the RTF Big B
    Sorry bout your allergy
    don't know the puddlepointers
    trained with a Griffon a couple times
    Cool dog, birdy as heck and fast.
    not the sharpest tool in the shed but lovable.
    are you alergic to Chesapeakes????
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Welcome to RTF.
    Yes Hillman can be used on another breed of dog.In fact in one of His DVDs he trains a Jack Russell terrier
    to stress that point.

I don't know about the mixed breeds, but I would shy away from the for hunting as it is unlikely they breed field lines of both types of dogs....on the other hand I did go to a hunt test where a woman from Denver, CO had to fill sized Poodles she ran in the Senior Hunter tests. We all were laughing at them when we first saw them, but after she ran them, we stopped laughing. They passed both tests no problems, they did not have much style, but they were very well trained and would make anyone a good gun dog....good luck!

I'd make sure you weren't allergic to the poodlepointer before you spent the $ for one. I'd also make sure the parents hunted and hopefully had NAVDA titles or certificates or whatever they call them. They say the versatile breeds don't do cold water well so that could be a problem in BC. I'd check locally to see if anyone worked versatile breeds in your neck of the woods.

You could also get around some Chessies. They are enough different from a lab that you might not be allergic to them.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

One of my greatest fears, is a zombie canvasback.

2 more posts and I can PM. This is one. I have been around one of the dogs so far and have plans to visit another. So far so good.

I have asked specifically for a cold water loving dog. This breed has variable length coats (as there is no breed standard really), so I will get one with a double. However, we mostly hunt fields.