RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Crow Hunt Video

3K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  NBgooseman 
#1 ·
Here's a video of a crow hunt we went on last weekend, took as much video as the battery would allow. this was the best crow shoot wev had yet ending the day with 115 in hand!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD7ts4nwoSo

#13 ·
we don't use decoys unless were setup as a feeding situation. when we do we use anywhere from 6 to 75 just depends on weather we plan on staying for a while. one thing to remember you have to have at least one decoy in a tree that they will be able to see. we tie two decoys together with about 6 feet of no tangle decoy cord and fire them as high up as we can get them in a tree. As far as getting them down....well sometimes we can reach them with a painters extension pole and sometimes we have to shoot the branch down there hooked up on. the other thing you can do is run and gun go from spot to spot with a call you gun and some shells. There usually quick "stands" one or 2 volleys of crows then you move on to another location. In this video we had a bit of a walk in so we never brought any decoys just hung the dead ones by the head in the crooks of the small trees all around the blind. electronic calls work awesome and there is a tonne of different sounds. I use mallardtone hand calls and they sound really good to but do tend to stick. morning and late afternoon/evening are best if your going to set up along a flyaway we use all kinds of shells our favourite is Winchester AA but there a bit $$$ on the cheep we buy Remington gun club by the case for about $62. Coyotes seem to love crows so we leave em then trap the coyotes in the fall!!

#6 ·
# of decoys.... dozen+- (I like the flocked ones.) personally I like a little motion mixed in.(have used a flapping bird toy painted black) have to switch things up regularly if you hunt the same birds. Sometimes an owl decoy with the crows around it also.

electronic call...... yes, with several different sequences
Blind.... depends where you are hunting, good camo and facemask sitting in fence row or cover works well
Time of day.... scout, hunt when you normally see them there
Shot... I prefer high brass 6. they can be tougher than you think

Mike

#9 ·
Nope, not good to eat.....

I'm not exactly proud of this but, I had a buddy that used to sneak a few crow on the grill. He would wrap them in bacon, marinate them with everything in the fridge, and sneak them in with a grill full of duck, or deer. Joe would snicker at us as our faces got all screwed up by the taste. Crow tastes bad. I don't hunt with Joe any more.

#10 ·
I've heard of people eating crow, but chuck187 is the first one I've heard of that's actually done it. :p

#11 ·
If your going to eat crow :confused:, you may as well wrap some road kill w/bacon and eat that too.

I've heard that crows carry a nasty bacteria on their feathers too, that causes problems for dogs gi systems. Anyone else hear of that?

#15 ·
I've always understood crows are aggressive and a danger to dogs. They are prone to look for a soft spot and start pecking, ie: they go after a dogs eyes.....anyone else understood this? I know they are some mean sob's as I have been pecked before by one that wasn't quite dead.

#16 ·
we try to make sure there dead before the dog gets to them. yes Iv seen them latch on to a few lips if they were still alive, but never had any injuries. again as a rule its best to finish any cripples before the dog heads out. It is awesome practice though. great way to keep you and the dog hunting!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.