The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exercise and training after breeding

Default Exercise and training after breeding

What are the guidelines of exercise after a bitch is bred ?
    Wizardrheas Roxtar MH (Roxie)
    Hibrass' She's Gotcha All Choked Up (Briley) Born 12/14/2013
    Sophie ( Bed Bug Detection Beagle)
    Mariah's Sunshine Tess (3-30-2000 / 8-10-2012) RIP Old Girl

This isn't a social event!!! Get a dog on the line!!

My vet says none for 2 weeks after breeding. He says the fertilized eggs can take that long to attach to the uterine wall. After that, normal exercise/training is fine. He says in the wild they still hunt.

About 2 weeks to 10 days before whelping they look so big and uncomfortable that I don't train them anymore. Not because they don't want to, I don't think they look like they should.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

I have one entered in a master test the 20th,pups due around the 9th or 10th. I thought last weekend was going to be her last one but after training and looking at her the first part of the week I went ahead and entered. I don't think she has many pups but is confirmed pregnant. If she "blows up" like my last one did at 40 days I'll just scratch her. Several yrs ago I had a friend win a pretty big FT with a bird dog that was 7 days from having puppies.

I saw Len Ferucci win with Chena River No Surprise who whelped in another 4 weeks. She didn't look pregnant at the field trial but had 9 or 10 pups.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Depends on when her old man is due home.

Just trying to help out in the worst way regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

My vet said pretty much along the lines of most of the posts. No training for the first two weeks after that training or at least daily exercise she considered a must do. Just don't over do it to. Make sure to watch the female and make sure she is not losing weight for it.

Also consider Risk vs Benefit. I know of some who don't want to expose their bitches to other dogs due to the possibility of contracting herpesvirus, parasites, kennel cough, mycoplasmas etc. I typically take the low road and any training is done at home, though I do take my girl w/ me if I've got a long day of training or work vs leaving her in the kennel that last week to 10 days, so I guess it's a matter of picking your poisons. I haveread that for the most part, any dog actively competing has probably already been exposed to herpesvirus, but as I seem to recall, a few here have had the unfortunate experience of losing several pups to it. http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=1224 I don't think there is a clear answer.

I've also read that implantation doesn't occur until ~18 days btw. This seems to be a good general info article: http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/U/UNP-0052/UNP-0052.pdf

Hey Rob, That's cool...you bred Roxie? If so, to whom? Still lovin' the training equipment box you made me for my car.
    Becky
    Life is Good . . . Do what you like - Like what you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Labs R Us View Post
    Hey Rob, That's cool...you bred Roxie? If so, to whom? Still lovin' the training equipment box you made me for my car.
    Hi Becky, Glad you are still liking the box and yes, I bred Roxie to FC Tribute To Justice JH. (Honor)
    Wizardrheas Roxtar MH (Roxie)
    Hibrass' She's Gotcha All Choked Up (Briley) Born 12/14/2013
    Sophie ( Bed Bug Detection Beagle)
    Mariah's Sunshine Tess (3-30-2000 / 8-10-2012) RIP Old Girl

This isn't a social event!!! Get a dog on the line!!

Howard, I will have pups for sale out of Zena Princess Warrior who's grandfather is Chena River Chevez and who's great grandmother is Chena River No Surprise. Zena is an awesome dog. I never ran her in trials but she would have been a machine. She's a phenomonel hunting dog. Check out my post Zena X Deuce Pups.

PJ