The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Force Fetch Dummies?

Default Homemade Force Fetch Dummies?

My dog and I have been through the Hillman puppy program. We are now on Lardy's DVDs and just started force fetch with ear pinch. She has hold down pretty well and will heel, come, and sit while holding. I like to mix in some breaking retrieves while working on ear pinch to keep her spirits up. However, she has a bad habit of cigaring the bumper or carrying it by the rope on the retrieve. I can't work on hold with her as she is coming back to me because she is holding it wrong to begin with. I tried tieng the rope in knots to shorten it but it didn't help much. Has anyone just made their own wooden dummies using a dowel and squares from a 2x4? Something like this but square ends instead of diamond:

http://www.gundogsupply.com/wodifotrbu.html

This is my first time to force fetch a dog. Just wasn't sure if it was OK to make something like this to work on force fetch and use it on breaking retrieves until she is through force fetch and stops cigaring so much.

Thanks.

If you can't get the desired retrieve and return stop throwing fun bumpers until you can.

No fun retrieves until force fetch is done........Lots of other stuff you can do that do not include retrieves.

I start with a wood FF buck. Made out of 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood, 4" square with a 1" wood dowel for a center bar. They have to grab it in the middle and when moving to the floor the cross bar is up off the floor, for an easy grab. Don

Cut the rope off your bumper.

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

I didn't see Lardy using fun bumpers during ear pinch, but I just thought of it since keeping the dogs spirits high is stressed a lot in Hillman's program. Wouldn't using the wooden buck from ear pinch on a fun bumper force her to hold it correctly and not cigar? This was my thinking.

Just keep putting the bumper in the correct position and praise for doing it right. Correct for doing it wrong.

Is the dog showing stress. bad attitude, lack of intrest? or are you throwing the fun bumpers for your own ego? If the dog doesnt need it, wait till you are finished FF. If they really need their spirits picked up throw a ball or one of their toys.

Paint rollers work great and are cheap. Dogs love them and they are easy to pick up!!
    "Owned by Three AWS's"

Luke 6:38
    Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

There are things you just can't fix. Can't fix stupid, can't fix a neutered dog & you can't fix junk!

American Water Spaniel Club, AKC - Parent Club
    http://www.americanwaterspanielclub.org/

Robert "BAYDOG" Goodman

Here's a FF buck that I made years ago with dowel rods, a drill and a couple screws. It has held up nicely - even to these vicious non-retrievers.

Chris
    "Determining and applying the criteria for when and when not to use correction is the essence of the art of dog training. I make a distinction between a mistake and a lack of effort." - Mike Lardy - Volume I "After Collar Conditioning"

"So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by jackh View Post
    .... Has anyone just made their own wooden dummies using a dowel and squares from a 2x4? .
    ^^^^^ayup^^^^^
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin