The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Entering Events as a Non-owner handler

Default Entering Events as a Non-owner handler

Okay just trying to cover all my basis but if I am going to enter a dog in an AKC event (either HT of FT) as a handler but not the owner what steps do I need to take? How do the pros handle this? I am referring to Chapter 8, Section 3 of the field trial rules handbook where it states "Every dog must be entered in the name of the person who actually owned the dog at the time entries closed. The right to enter and run a dog cannot be transferred...If an entry is made by a duly authorized agent of the owner, the name of the actual owner must be shown on the entry form." I was wondering if there is any documentation required to show that I am indeed a duly authorized agent of the owner?
    "Dont insult the alligator until you have crossed the river"

It is assumed, based on the honor system, that if you enter my dog it is with my permission and you are therefore my duly appointed agent. If you lie on the entry there could be penalties associated with such falsification.

Not to hijack the thread but what is the process to change handlers in a UKC hunt test?
    One of my sons is sick and we will have to shuffle around to handle the 2 dogs at the hunt test this weekend.

Why not just have the owner enter his own dog, and put you down as handler.
    Renee P

Quote Originally Posted by mitty View Post
    Why not just have the owner enter his own dog, and put you down as handler.
    Because Iam in possession of the dogs in a training capacity and the owner is consumed with managing his kennel and hunt club. He left the duties up to me to enter and handle his dogs in any trials that I prefer. I have just not entered another owners dog in competition before and wanted to make sure Im doing it by the book.
    "Dont insult the alligator until you have crossed the river"

Not to hijack the thread but what is the process to change handlers in a UKC hunt test?
    One of my sons is sick and we will have to shuffle around to handle the 2 dogs at the hunt test this weekend
    Tell the HT secretary when you check in. Tell the Flight marshall. HT secretary will have to update the PASS slips to have the correct handler on the slip. Marshall needs to know who to look for when lining up dogs. Shouldn't be any problem.
    "Too late smart, too soon old" - Now I finally get it Grandpa

Dennis Long
    HRCH SHDW MTN Aces and Eights Toby MH "Toby"
    HRCH Barton Creek's Winner Take All MH "Rio"
    Ranger 1997 - 2012
    Ragin' Charge of the Light Brigade "Cannon"

Quote Originally Posted by RMC$$$ View Post
    One of my sons is sick and we will have to shuffle around to handle the 2 dogs at the hunt test this weekend.
    when you check in tell them. and when you get to your test tell the marshal