The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: .22 Blank "Rifle" or "Shotgun" ??

Default .22 Blank "Rifle" or "Shotgun" ??

Do these exist? I've searched all over and have not seen any.
    Wouldn't this be far better than a .22 blank pistol? It'd seem that this would be especially useful for HRC training or Gun dog training to get the pop and still allow the dog to work on following the gun barrel?

I suppose that the .22 blank would not be as loud as a 12g popper, but would be less than half the cost and more beneficial from a marking/gun following perspective for HRC/Gun training.

Thoughts?

Hrc guys use a Remington 870 pump gun, and "Poppers" that consist of a regular shotshell hull with only a Primer pressed in place..
    In other words an empty Primed Hull.... Fiochii is a brand that is common..

.209 primers are cheaper than .22 blanks when purchased in quantity...

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Years ago, someone in the Seattle area was welding a contraption onto the barrel of a bolt action 22 rifle. It was supposed to be a sound chamber and probably was. Anyhow, you used 22 blanks in it and we used them. They were not as loud as a Remington shotgun popper. I haven't seen one of them in years. I expect they haven't been made in a long while.

I had a Retriever Trainer launcher welded onto a pawn shop 22 bolt action rifle way back when. I used to use it as a blank shotgun but it was just another thing to clutter up the truck and I haven't dusted it off in a lot of years.

Later edit. That retriever trainer end piece I had welded onto the 22 never did shoot a retriever trainer dummy worth a hoot. Just kina plopped it out a little ways. I had visions of placing water blinds with it. Didn't work.
    Last edited by Howard N; 05-10-2013 at 08:46 PM.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Yellow ramset loads are every bit as loud as poppers
    Bert Rodgers

There are these , that are inserts to use 209 primers?? http://www.lcsupply.com/Shotgun-Prim...oductinfo/SPI/
    "Owned by Three AWS's"

Luke 6:38
    Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

There are things you just can't fix. Can't fix stupid, can't fix a neutered dog & you can't fix junk!

American Water Spaniel Club, AKC - Parent Club
    http://www.americanwaterspanielclub.org/

Robert "BAYDOG" Goodman

Quote Originally Posted by BAYDOG View Post
    There are these , that are inserts to use 209 primers?? http://www.lcsupply.com/Shotgun-Prim...oductinfo/SPI/
    That is brilliant. Ive certainly never seen these and didnt know there was such a thing. HonestlY confused still about how it "works". You insert the primers into the brass "hulls", eject and refill with primer?

Quote Originally Posted by BAYDOG View Post
    At $25 a pop? And you'd need to manually take out and put in a new primer for every shot? Do the same thing for free with an empty shotgun shell.

A training friend has a Rosi pump .22 rifle and it cycles the ramset blanks fine.

Quote Originally Posted by ArtC View Post
    At $25 a pop? And you'd need to manually take out and put in a new primer for every shot? Do the same thing for free with an empty shotgun shell.
    The primers just fall out easily, and just drop another one in. It's not pressed in there like a normal primer. Think reusable in the field.
    "Owned by Three AWS's"

Luke 6:38
    Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

There are things you just can't fix. Can't fix stupid, can't fix a neutered dog & you can't fix junk!

American Water Spaniel Club, AKC - Parent Club
    http://www.americanwaterspanielclub.org/

Robert "BAYDOG" Goodman