RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

New Guy

17K views 88 replies 27 participants last post by  Chris2713 
#1 ·
Hey all,

My names Chris (hopefully u picked up on that) I'm originally from Napa, CA but since having joined the army I'm currently living in copperas cove, tx (fort hood). Before moving here I was stationed in Hawaii ( really broke my heart leaving there lol). I have just recently purchased my first black lab and he is currently being trained by a friends dad up in Kentucky. I cannot wait to get him back. Ill be heading up to the grand in texarcana to see him.

I joined so I can start learning to train. I've been looking around at programs to follow and have been recommend by a handful to follow the smart works regime. Uncle Sam doesn't pay that much so still saving up to purchase that. I want to be able to keep his training going once I get him back this winter and hopefully get him into some hunt tests.

I can't wait to learn a lot and maybe get some advice a long the way...

#2 ·
Hey Chris, Welcome aboard.

Before I spent $ on a video program I'd find out what program your trainer is using and what he suggests. At what age, level of training will you be getting your dog?

Believe me, when you get the dog, it will not be a seamless transition from the trainer to you. Working the dog with the same philosophy will help. Make sure you train as much as you can with the trainer to get the best idea you can of where the dog is at and what he knows. Get the trainer's phone number so you have a good contact when things go a little sideways.

#4 ·
Welcome Chris: I am sorry that you are stationed at Fort Hood..J/k because that's where my dad was stationed back in the 50's.. I have cousin's in Killeen, and my Uncle Ely who just passed away at the age of 94 lived just about a mile from the main gate...I also used to shoot skeet at the base when there was a MSGT Bravo who was one of the best shooters in the country, that man could shuck a pump faster than anyone I have ever seen in my life....

I know about how the Army pays...they dont...

So that being said I will make this offer to you and my fellow RTF'ers

I will put up the first half $75 of the purchase on the Lardy TRT DVD set

I challenge my other RTF members to show their support of someone in the armed forces, by making a $5 donation which will go toward the other half

Donations can be sent to my Pay Pal account...any amount over the balance will be given to Chris to buy training supplies

Lets see it it RTF, show me what you got

#5 ·
Bon that is a real nice offer. But if his trainer recommended smart works i would assume that is the program he is useing.

Just dont want to give Chris or his dog mixed signals. Would that offer still stand for smart works?

I to was station in fort hood Loved a place in killeen called churches chicken.

#7 ·
Count me in Bon,funny thing before you posted I was thinking the same thing.Give me some details.Jim

#9 ·
First I would like to say thank u to all of you and generosity. I was very surprised when I saw all this. I just talked with my trainer and he said it is just as good as smart works and that he doesn't just stick with one program and that he pulls from Evan grahm as well as mike lardy.

Starjack- I really appreciate u trying to look out for me. Thank you.

let me know if there is anything u need me to do while I work on getting my PM's working lol I have to post more.

I'm sure fort hood has changed since the last time u were here BonMallari and no we don't have any amazing skeet shooters anymore. Hardly ever does anyone shoot on post anyways. There's a lot restrictions on weapons these days as u can imagine so most just go to off post. It would be nice if they would build a sporting clays range though.

Yet again thank you to all of you and your support.

#11 ·
when we get enough committments I will post my email address and the you just go to the Pay Pal site and send it from either your checking acct or debit card/CC....

someone asked why Lardy TRT...as Dr EdA said the other day, lets support those vendors that support us here on RTF....

#13 · (Edited)
There is a Hunting Retriever Club in Waco. I think it is called Heart of Texas HRC. You can find them on the internet. You might want to contact them.

If memory serves me correct Waco is relatively close to Ft. Hood.

Edit: I just looked at their website. The have an akc hunt test coming up May 4 & 5. If you go and watch. It is free.

#16 ·
Tell ya what Bon,put a deadline on it.I`m in for ten but if you don`t have enough I will make up the difference.Lets get this young soldier a good start!!!! Jim

#19 ·
To the top for a good cause.Jim

#21 ·
OK RTF: We have 130.00 in the kitty...I am headed to work and will be disappointed if we cant hit the mark to get Chris his Lardy set...I am planning on ordering the set tomorrow...don't let me down..We always hear talk about "lets support our troops"..Well it's time to walk the walk...

supporting an armed services member and get him started with some excellent training tools...

#22 ·
Bon, just tell me how much and where to send it!

C'mon people, let's get this done!!!!!!

#24 ·
I would like to thank the following people who sent or pledged donations toward the purchase of the Lardy TRT DVD set for Chris..they will be ordered later today one all the funds are transfered....we exceeded the amount needed for the DVD's so I will use the rest to get Chris a gift card for Dogs Afield to be used at his discretion

Ray K.
Cheryl L
Charles W.
Shawn R.
Jim W.
Scott B.
Randy B.
Stan B.
Lanse B.
Bill C.
Clint M

enjoy the series Chris, keep us informed as to how training is going

#27 · (Edited)
Wait....WHAT?????

We only got 11 people pitchin' in?

C'mon man............RTF'rs are more giving than this.

This man stands at the ready to serve & protect us, let's help him out here!!!!
I know there are some vets here that can help!

We need a few more $10 donations!!!

Great job BON!!!!!!!

#25 ·
Good job people!!!I have found in life that good deeds such as this will always return.Keep us posted Chris and thanks for your service. Jim

#29 ·
Chris,

I did my basic training at Fort Bliss, but close enough! :D Shoot me your mailing address to rushcreekpress@aol.com . We'll get you fixed up for you new pup. Thanks for all you do!

“Duty, Honor, Country”

Evan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.