The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: New Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    right now Bon could buy a brand new TT sport basic gs exp and is but ten $10 pledges away from a brand new classic 70 g3 exp
    it would be x2 more than that to get him into a flyway. but the classic 70 is a very good collar.
    That's retail... I have a feeling we may be able to get a better deal.
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Chris, welcome to the dog training world from a proud veteran. My only advice to you when you get your dog back (or even before, why wait?), would be to get involved with a local retriever club near you and go to some events. Help out a little. You will be amazed at how much you learn about dogs along the way. By the time you get your dog back... you may be almost as smart as he is... he has had all this training, you need to be doing something in the meantime to be learning other than just watching dvd's. You need to see real dogs reacting to real situations...

So, if you can, get out there and meet some local folks in your area... Just my two cents worth... Welcome.
    This coming from the BEST bird thrower I have ever seen!
    Stan b & Elvis

There's a hunt test coming up in my area in the beginning if may that I will be attending and hopefully meet some of the folks there. I will also be at the grand with y pup in Texarkana watching my trainer and his dog perform.

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    This coming from the BEST bird thrower I have ever seen!

branching off, this could / should be a thread of it's own. I have seen one or two great duck chuckers.
    but who is the best of the best of the best?
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Bora View Post
    branching off, this could / should be a thread of it's own. I have seen one or two great duck chuckers.
    but who is the best of the best of the best?
    I am just saying Bill is the best I have ever seen in my limited time in the sport.
    His timing and placement were exceptional!
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    That's retail... I have a feeling we may be able to get a better deal.
    hhhhmmmm
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    His timing and placement were exceptional!
    I have had birds land in back of me and hit my ownself in the head.
    gallery loves me.

The two birds that Bill threw that I remember most:

The 1st one was in 1995 at Turnagain pass. Not the first open I'd ever run but I was very green, in the 4th series and didn't know what I was doing there. Banjo picked up the go bird. When I lined him up for the short semi-retired bird Banjo self selected the long retired bird that Bill threw. Banjo hit the 2nd water in line with the fall, disappeared for 15-20 seconds and reappeared in line where Bill had been standing. He beached, ran to where Bill had stood, looked around for a few seconds, looped over to the bird, picked it up and returned with it. I lined him up for the short semi-retired again and he went out and picked it up with a short hunt. No other dog hit that 2nd water, some had some pretty stupid hunts and got well out of the area. Banjo was the only dog who picked up that bird right. My first blue ribbon!

The other bird that Bill threw that has stuck in my mind for years was in 1996 (I think) off the Denali Hiway in the Tangle Lakes area near Paxton, AK. The Fairbanks Retriever Club and the Alaska Women's Retriever Club had a 4 day combined double field trial out there for a couple of years. In the fourth series Bill was throwing the long retired bird that landed with a line to it angling across one beaver pond and along the shoreline of a 2nd pond. Again, only one dog got into the 2nd water and got the bird cleanly that way. Most dogs beached early in the first pond missed the 2nd pond and had various hunts lost in the brush off to the left. The top derby dog of the year, Chena River Tug, hit the 2nd pond online, swam the shoreline and beached prior to the end. She disappeared into the brush at the edge of the pond and reappeared a few seconds later with the bird in her mouth. That job earned her the blue and her FC/AFC a week or two before her 2nd birthday. The 2nd best job of that day, was Aran Island's Mr. Casey, I think, owned by a guy from PA named Pat Martin. He ran around the 2 beaver ponds on the right side and pinned the bird. I still laugh when I think of that job. A young, full of himself, labrador retriever saying, "I know where that bird is and know the fastest way to get there." I loved it .

Coming up on 20 years ago and I still remember those throws Bill made.
    Last edited by Howard N; 04-17-2013 at 02:44 PM.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Howard N View Post
    The two birds that Bill threw that I remember most:

The 1st one was in 1995 at Turnagain pass. Not the first open I'd ever run but I was very green, in the 4th series and didn't know what I was doing there. Banjo picked up the go bird. When I lined him up for the short semi-retired bird Banjo self selected the long retired bird that Bill threw. Banjo hit the 2nd water in line with the fall, disappeared for 15-20 seconds and reappeared in line where Bill had been standing. He beached, ran to where Bill had stood, looked around for a few seconds, looped over to the bird, picked it up and returned with it. I lined him up for the short semi-retired again and he went out and picked it up with a short hunt. No other dog hit that 2nd water, some had some pretty stupid hunts and got well out of the area. Banjo was the only dog who picked up that bird right. My first blue ribbon!

The other bird that Bill threw that has stuck in my mind for years was in 1996 (I think) off the Denali Hiway in the Tangle Lakes area near Paxton, AK. The Fairbanks Retriever Club and the Alaska Women's Retriever Club had a 4 day combined double field trial out there for a couple of years. In the fourth series Bill was throwing the long retired bird that landed with a line to it angling across one beaver pond and along the shoreline of a 2nd pond. Again, only one dog got into the 2nd water and got the bird cleanly that way. Most dogs beached early in the first pond missed the 2nd pond and had various hunts lost in the brush off to the left. The top derby dog of the year, Chena River Tug, hit the 2nd pond online, swam the shoreline and beached prior to the end. She disappeared into the brush at the edge of the pond and reappeared a few seconds later with the bird in her mouth. That job earned her the blue and her FC/AFC a week or two before her 2nd birthday. The 2nd best job of that day, was Aran Island's Mr. Casey, I think, owned by a guy from PA named Pat Martin. He ran around the 2 beaver ponds on the right side and pinned the bird. I still laugh when I think of that job. A young, full of himself, labrador retriever saying, "I know where that bird is and know the fastest way to get there." I loved it .

Coming up on 20 years ago and I still remember those throws Bill made.
    Howard, I remember the first one and your reaction upon realizing you were the winner! Priceless! Banjo was a good boy that day for sure.

I have to admit I don't really remember the one in Paxson... Of course, there were quite a few... Some of you guys can remember every mark for years... And which way the wind was blowing! Akkola is that way too. I can barely remember some of them the next day...
    Bill Davis

Hey Bon, how's the collar tally coming along?
    Bill Davis