The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Whistle

Default Which Whistle

Is the loudest? I have a Dallesasse Field Trialer and ran some long blinds today, 300-400 yards with a under 10mph wind and the dog had difficulty hearing the whistle. Is the Green Monster or the Orange mega whistle any louder at those distances? Has anyone actually tested this not just personal preferences?
    Last edited by Daren Galloway; 08-01-2013 at 08:29 AM.
    Daren Galloway

Acme whistles are great and sufficiently loud enough as dogs have the ability to hear 4 times greater than humans.
    Last edited by Dooley; 07-22-2013 at 08:04 PM.

I like the orange pealess mega whistle it has served me well.

You'll piss people off, but get a Fox 40, loudest by far I have ever heard!!
    "Owned by Three AWS's"

Luke 6:38
    Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.

There are things you just can't fix. Can't fix stupid, can't fix a neutered dog & you can't fix junk!

American Water Spaniel Club, AKC - Parent Club
    http://www.americanwaterspanielclub.org/

Robert "BAYDOG" Goodman

Quote Originally Posted by Daren Galloway View Post
    Is the loudest? I have a Dallahasse Field Trialer and ran some long blinds today, 300-400 yards with a under 10mph wind and the dog had difficulty hearing the whistle. Is the Green Monster or the Orange mega whistle any louder at those distances? Has anyone actually tested this not just personal preferences?
    If you blew the blue whistle, your dog heard it. Trust me. Whether he decided to stop or not is a different matter. I tested my old mega whistle and my Dalesasse at about 350 yards. Long story short is that with my wife in the field, she said she heard the Acme Tornado (Dalesasse) very clearly with a crosswind, considerably better than the Mega. That said, my dog still responds better to the Mega, even at 300 yards but he's still getting used to the Dalesasse.
    "When a good trainer stops learning about dogs, he stops being a good trainer." the late Gene Hill

"If you want to find out what kind of trainer you are, leave your transmitter in the truck." the late Rex Carr

http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood..../dog_formulas/

Quote Originally Posted by J. Walker View Post
    If you blew the blue whistle, your dog heard it. Trust me. Whether he decided to stop or not is a different matter. I tested my old mega whistle and my Dalesasse at about 350 yards. Long story short is that with my wife in the field, she said she heard the Acme Tornado (Dalesasse) very clearly with a crosswind, considerably better than the Mega. That said, my dog still responds better to the Mega, even at 300 yards but he's still getting used to the Dalesasse.
    Thanks! This is the kind of research I was looking for.
    Daren Galloway

I second this. I have always used "The Answer" which is the pealess orange mega whistle. It is very loud and I would have argued the loudest, but, your post prompted me to buy a new whistle and I gotta say, the D is louder.

Honestly though, if my old Mega were louder, I'd have stuck with it as I still FAR prefer how I can more easily adjust the volume and duration to better communicate with my dog. The Dalesasse doesn't have a crisp tone and just kind of lays there when you need a softer tone if the dog is only 30 yards away such as if he took a poor initial line. Like my dog, I'm still getting used to it. I wouldn't have even considered it but I noticed that about 325 yards or so was the limit for my Mega with any kind of breeze or cover.
    "When a good trainer stops learning about dogs, he stops being a good trainer." the late Gene Hill

"If you want to find out what kind of trainer you are, leave your transmitter in the truck." the late Rex Carr

http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood..../dog_formulas/

Honestly though, if my old Mega were louder, I'd have stuck with it as I still FAR prefer how I can more easily adjust the volume and duration to better communicate with my dog. The Dalesasse doesn't have a crisp tone and just kind of lays there when you need a softer tone if the dog is only 30 yards away such as if he took a poor initial line. Like my dog, I'm still getting used to it. I wouldn't have even considered it but I noticed that about 325 yards or so was the limit for my Mega with any kind of breeze or cover.
    After using it in the field for the last few days, I gotta say that I agree 100%

Thanks for the replies greatly appreciated. I've never blown the orange mega but I know standing behind the line of people that do kills my ears so there has to be more sound lost to the side and behind than the Dallesasse. Has anyone compared the Green Monster to the FT Dallesasse?
    Daren Galloway