The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommendation for 20 gauge autoloader

Default Recommendation for 20 gauge autoloader

I had a very severe fracture of my arm a while back and shooting my 12 gauge O/U is now just downright painful. I am thinking of getting a 20 gauge autoloader for shooting fliers in our training group. Does anyone have recommendations for a decent one? I've only had O/Us so don't really know what to look at in an autoloader. Deb Anderson

Find someone with a Benelli 20 guage to try. They make 2 or 3 models in smaller sizes, light recoil (IMO), light, balanced and quick to handle. I'm a big fan, have both pump and semi-autos.

Good luck, no fun when it hurts to shoot!

Benelli makes an ultra light 20 gauge auto that weighs in at 5.2 lbs - very hard to get and I believe shipment is arriving to US in about 1 week as I have one on backorder since the early part of Feb and was told in very early March it would be 5 weeks before they would be available in the US - holds three shots one in chamber and two in magazine tube - would be easy to hold in one hand and throw the bird and shoot - with the inertia system cleaning is a snap
    trog

Miss Anderson:

I am going to get beat up for sayin this,, but,,, what the hell right?

In my opinion,, a light twenty,, even in an autoloader seems to ME to have more felt reciol that a heavier 12 with light loads in it.

Winchester makes 12 guage light recoil loads with 7 1/2 shot in them , that is fine with flyers..

I am very recoil sensitive... If I have a choice of gun to shoot for extended number of rounds,, I choose my Citori loadedwith MY reloads, that are very reduced loads, shooting only 3/4ounces of shot..Very little recoil..

In my opinion ,,where the twenty ga. autoloader really shines, is Pheasant hunting, its nice then to carry that light gun..
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 04-14-2013 at 06:16 PM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Thanks for the input. The reason I asked is I tried a friends 20 ga auto today (it is a CZ) and it felt like shooting a .22 after shooting my 12 ga O/U. The loads were very different, shooting#7 steel in the 12 and a very light dove load (all I had available) in the 20. It got me thinking maybe I need a new gun Deb

Loads make a BIG difference!

I recently bought my first 20, it is a Benelli and so far it's great. So far I would highly recommend it.

I LOVE the 20 gauge......but imho if you are looking to reduce recoil a 12 gauge gas gun with light loads is the way to go

Felt recoil is effected by the weight of the gun, the oz. of shot in the shell and the velocity of the propellant coming out. Of the three reducing the amount of shot being used is the best way to reduce recoil, followed by the weight of the gun.

For those of you that made recommendations on changing loads, do you have a recommended commercial lead and steel load for pigeons and ducks? I will primarily be shooting fliers so that is my main concern. Thanks for all your help. Deb