RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Recommendation for 20 gauge autoloader

12K views 31 replies 24 participants last post by  timn 
#1 ·
I had a very severe fracture of my arm a while back and shooting my 12 gauge O/U is now just downright painful. I am thinking of getting a 20 gauge autoloader for shooting fliers in our training group. Does anyone have recommendations for a decent one? I've only had O/Us so don't really know what to look at in an autoloader. Deb Anderson

#3 ·
Benelli makes an ultra light 20 gauge auto that weighs in at 5.2 lbs - very hard to get and I believe shipment is arriving to US in about 1 week as I have one on backorder since the early part of Feb and was told in very early March it would be 5 weeks before they would be available in the US - holds three shots one in chamber and two in magazine tube - would be easy to hold in one hand and throw the bird and shoot - with the inertia system cleaning is a snap

#4 · (Edited)
Miss Anderson:

I am going to get beat up for sayin this,, but,,, what the hell right?

In my opinion,, a light twenty,, even in an autoloader seems to ME to have more felt reciol that a heavier 12 with light loads in it.

Winchester makes 12 guage light recoil loads with 7 1/2 shot in them , that is fine with flyers..

I am very recoil sensitive... If I have a choice of gun to shoot for extended number of rounds,, I choose my Citori loadedwith MY reloads, that are very reduced loads, shooting only 3/4ounces of shot..Very little recoil..

In my opinion ,,where the twenty ga. autoloader really shines, is Pheasant hunting, its nice then to carry that light gun..

#5 ·
Thanks for the input. The reason I asked is I tried a friends 20 ga auto today (it is a CZ) and it felt like shooting a .22 after shooting my 12 ga O/U. The loads were very different, shooting#7 steel in the 12 and a very light dove load (all I had available) in the 20. It got me thinking maybe I need a new gun :) Deb

#9 ·
Felt recoil is effected by the weight of the gun, the oz. of shot in the shell and the velocity of the propellant coming out. Of the three reducing the amount of shot being used is the best way to reduce recoil, followed by the weight of the gun.

#12 ·
The PRICE just makes my skin crawl,, but I suppose its the sign of the times.

But here ya go,, If you use these in a heavier12 ga gun, or a gas operatedautoloader, you will absolutly notice the difference..

I will caution you though, that SOME auto's wont cycle very light reduced loads. The pressures have to be up a bit to get the guns actions to function..

but anyways here is a link to winchesters low recoil, low noise ammo. We use 7 1/2 oz or 8 shot for duck flyers all the time . they work fine..

Just open up your choke.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/29...arget-ammunition-12-gauge-2-3-4-7-8-oz-8-shot

Gooser

#13 · (Edited)
The WORSE ammo you can use, in my opinion, is the cheapie "Promo" loads you see in Walmarts ect..

They are marketed as a light load, Ex: dove and Quail ect, but in actuality, they have a feet per second of over 1300 which means pressure is up there. They do this so those loads will function in autoloaders as well as break open guns and pumps.. I find the recoil of those factory loads really unpleasant.

For example:

Those factory loads MAY have pressures in the 9000 to 9500 psi range,, where as my reloads, that are very reduced, shoot only 3/4 oz of shot, develope only 4600 psi of pressue..

Those reloads of mine turn a heavier 12 gauge guns recoil into a 28 guage.

#15 ·
Thanks for all the info. I am going to try some of these different loads in my O/U and see how that changes the recoil. Plus I got info via PM about a different recoil pad system. I also will look for opportunities to try different auto loaders and see if there is one I like that feels and fits good. I am a lefty so I guess that may not be so easy. I don't mind adding a 20 gauge to my collection, but I hate to not shoot my 12 gauge that I really like.

#17 ·
Deb,
I would ask you to consider buying a 1100 28 gauge. You shoot the same load as a 20, you have the same fps as a 20, you can also get shells for all varieties of game including duck. you will never feel the shot going off.
I shoot everything but Geese with mine and it kills graveyard dead.

Good luck
Deuceman

#19 ·
Shoot a 1187 20 if know of anyone that has one I won a 1187 in raffle a few years ago and my SBE has been almost retired since the recoil is like shooting a 22 and it will handle the light loads where my SBE will not shoot all brands of light loads try one if you can before you buy the 1187 will not brake the bank either JMO Good luck.

#20 ·
I have a 20ga Benelli Ultralight, which is very nice for carrying in the field. It's about 6 lbs, I think. But the powerful duck loads do pack a punch. My husband has the 12 ga Benelli Montrefeltro and it seems to have significantly less recoil - BUT it's also much heavier to carry and wield around. No way I could carry that thing for 2 or 3 hours.

#21 ·
Use a gas operatored auto. For less recoil it's best to use a 12 with light loads.
A Benelli will kick more than a gas operatored gun 12 or 20.
Good luck

#24 ·
My Benelli 20 gauge ultra light is still on back order excuse now is impounded shipment of 2 containers of ultra lights by customs.
see earlier post gun ordered and backordered around 1st of feb then told it would be here in early April - still no gun

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.