The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation for 20 gauge autoloader

Have you thought about a 28ga? I know several people who use them and love them.

My brother has swiched to a 28 O/U for hunting exclusively. Recoil is almost nonexistant.

Quote Originally Posted by zoomngoldens View Post
    For those of you that made recommendations on changing loads, do you have a recommended commercial lead and steel load for pigeons and ducks? I will primarily be shooting fliers so that is my main concern. Thanks for all your help. Deb

The PRICE just makes my skin crawl,, but I suppose its the sign of the times.

But here ya go,, If you use these in a heavier12 ga gun, or a gas operatedautoloader, you will absolutly notice the difference..

I will caution you though, that SOME auto's wont cycle very light reduced loads. The pressures have to be up a bit to get the guns actions to function..

but anyways here is a link to winchesters low recoil, low noise ammo. We use 7 1/2 oz or 8 shot for duck flyers all the time . they work fine..

Just open up your choke.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/290...-7-8-oz-8-shot

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

The WORSE ammo you can use, in my opinion, is the cheapie "Promo" loads you see in Walmarts ect..

They are marketed as a light load, Ex: dove and Quail ect, but in actuality, they have a feet per second of over 1300 which means pressure is up there. They do this so those loads will function in autoloaders as well as break open guns and pumps.. I find the recoil of those factory loads really unpleasant.

For example:

Those factory loads MAY have pressures in the 9000 to 9500 psi range,, where as my reloads, that are very reduced, shoot only 3/4 oz of shot, develope only 4600 psi of pressue..

Those reloads of mine turn a heavier 12 gauge guns recoil into a 28 guage.
    Last edited by MooseGooser; 04-15-2013 at 11:08 AM.
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

My girlfriend shoots the Benelli M2 in 20 gauge. With 7 or 8 shot its like shooting a BB gun.
    "Dont insult the alligator until you have crossed the river"

Thanks for all the info. I am going to try some of these different loads in my O/U and see how that changes the recoil. Plus I got info via PM about a different recoil pad system. I also will look for opportunities to try different auto loaders and see if there is one I like that feels and fits good. I am a lefty so I guess that may not be so easy. I don't mind adding a 20 gauge to my collection, but I hate to not shoot my 12 gauge that I really like.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by zoomngoldens View Post
    I had a very severe fracture of my arm a while back and shooting my 12 gauge O/U is now just downright painful. I am thinking of getting a 20 gauge autoloader for shooting fliers in our training group. Does anyone have recommendations for a decent one? I've only had O/Us so don't really know what to look at in an autoloader. Deb Anderson
    Benelli any really and Franchi Affinity, which comes in a 20 gauge, black, compact model.

Deb,
    I would ask you to consider buying a 1100 28 gauge. You shoot the same load as a 20, you have the same fps as a 20, you can also get shells for all varieties of game including duck. you will never feel the shot going off.
    I shoot everything but Geese with mine and it kills graveyard dead.

Good luck
    Deuceman

You may want to consider Winchester SX3 in 20 ga. Most 20 ga auto loaders come in 23/4 & 3 In. After arm heals you could use gun for hunting while having a soft shoting gun for flyers. Good luck.

Shoot a 1187 20 if know of anyone that has one I won a 1187 in raffle a few years ago and my SBE has been almost retired since the recoil is like shooting a 22 and it will handle the light loads where my SBE will not shoot all brands of light loads try one if you can before you buy the 1187 will not brake the bank either JMO Good luck.
    HRCH DB's Classic Little Mustang, Shelby
    HRCH Rangers Keeper Shooten Staight, QAA Briley
    DB's Classic Old Mopar, Charger
    Black Shadow's Bump-N-Rub-N-&-Run-N, Bristol
    Black Shadow's Itch-N-To Go, Chigger

I have a 20ga Benelli Ultralight, which is very nice for carrying in the field. It's about 6 lbs, I think. But the powerful duck loads do pack a punch. My husband has the 12 ga Benelli Montrefeltro and it seems to have significantly less recoil - BUT it's also much heavier to carry and wield around. No way I could carry that thing for 2 or 3 hours.