The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Derby questions

Photo Mar 15, 4 22 05 PM.jpg

Nice pictures Chris. Here is the fourth series water marks at a trial this spring. The left bird is the go bird, thrown to the right landing at the base of the tree. The memory bird is thrown to the left and lands in front of the brush pile off the corner of the pond.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinwithlabs View Post
    I tried wading through the FT/HT thread but didnt find what I was looking for.... My question is what is expected at the derby level in a FT. What would an example run look like? I had been thinking of doing HT, but there are several FT coming to the area this summer and the trainer I have been working with has suggested FT. I think I/we would blow by JH and are close to SH in the HT world, I just dont know that much about FT. Oh, and are there any good books on FT's for labs out there?

Thanks
    RJ
    First: do a search here because there are tons of threads about derbies here (your question comes up at least monthly) and many of them have very detailed explanations of the type of marks commonly seen. If you're working regularly with, or your pup is with, a trainer that runs FTs regularly, that trainer is the best judge of whether your pup has "the stuff". We all think we've got the next NDC, FC/AFC when they're pups, which is probably a good thing.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Trudi,

That 4th was a monster, long but not super long but confusing for the dogs.....very well placed marks! Never figured out why the dogs wanted to wide of the mem bird! Tuck did a good job if memory serves me!
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Brownstone's Harley- "Harley" 7/29/2009 (By CH Woodhull's Roger That)
    Maple Hill's Ella Enchanted- "Ella" 8/30/2011 (By FC AFC Land Ahoy)

So far I have seen marks from 60 yards to 400+. You can't really compare the derby to hunt tests. However, I would say most of the competitive derby dogs would not have trouble running a Master test. They don't run blinds in the derby but the dogs need to be handling so you can do cheating singles and so on.

Tuck nailed the go bird, taking the corner on the first piece of water and back in over the first levy. He held his initial line on the memory bird fighting the wind for about 250-300 yards. Sloppy ending, but he got the bird and we finished another derby! As a novice handler, this series will stay in my memory forever! Tuck stepped up that day! Great seeing you and Ella that weekend, Chris.

Here's derby pics from Central Arkansas
    Series 1
    Series 1edited.jpg
    Series 2
    Series 2b edited.jpg
    Series 3
    Series 3b edited.jpg

The judges saw enough after the 3rd to make a decision

Sunnydee,
    That's pretty much what I was thinking. The trainer I have been working with is running the one in Portland so I am going do up with him and have a look see.
    Great info all, thanks again
    RJ

Huntinwithlabs. Welcome. Terry is spot on with watching one.You'll have several in your back yard too at Junction City.Entry Express will have the upcoming trials in this area. I will be at ORTC. Expect long marks with the trees in the background. PM me with who your trainer is.They likely will be able to fill you in as well. I should have a derby dog there too.
    Jeff Gruber
    working on pelts
    Duckponds Prize Package
    CK'S Contessa (avatar)
    Ice Chilled Juice

well.......that was eye opening
    I went to youtube and watched a few derby's. I was surprised at how the difficulty varied between some of them. A few that I saw looked like "no problem", and a few were more like "holy crap!". Right now I think the plan is train train train, and work our way toward getting into a Derby maybe around late summer/early fall.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinwithlabs View Post
    well.......that was eye opening
    A few that I saw looked like "no problem", and a few were more like "holy crap!". Right now I think the plan is train train train, and work our way toward getting into a Derby maybe around late summer/early fall.
    just a note fwiw.......in my limited experience when i have watched the test dog run and said to myself, "no problem!" i am very likely to have an "eminent problem". be careful about what may appear to be "easy". good judges will get you with an unassuming bird placement everytime! when you least expect it.....expect it!
    john mccallie