The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The MUST Haves??

Hunting dog, depends on type of hunting, but my dog has a vest, tree stand, a dog blind, a boat ramp, dog boots & duct-tape, Med. kit used more times than I can count. My Upland bags have many pockets (in which I carry water) squeeze-securing top for water bottles. For staying in the truck most of the day, battery cooling Fan, shade cover-towel, 5 gallon water-bottle & bowl, kennel mat.
    Last edited by Hunt'EmUp; 04-16-2013 at 03:57 PM.
    "They's Just DAWGS"
    "Hunting is a skill to be learned whether you do it early or late it still needs to be learned"
    "I train dogs, Not papers"

GMRH HRCH Quick MH (most importantly Duck/Upland Enthusiast)
    MHR HRCH Lakota MH (most importantly Upland/Duck Enthusiast)
    SHR Storm.. the Pup (Beginning Upland & Waterfowl Enthusiast)

The med kit is a great idea that I havent thought of.

The thought that goes through my head is "Going down the rabbit hole."
    Joe Dickerson

R.I.P. 4xGMPR HRCH Hunters Marsh Jack Daniels Bubba Jazz MH
    Call Name: JD

The sooner you start them getting confortable sitting in a mutt hutt or a dog blind, the easier life will be later. I set one up in the mud room and have my dogs go in and sit there while I measure out their food.

I put it down and make them wait 10-30 seconds before coming for dinner. In a week or so, they hear the bowl being picked up and head straight for the kennel on their own. Pair that with a "kennel" command and should never have to wrestle the dog into a field blind again.

This may be a dumb question but what whistles do u use or does it not matter

What whistle does your pro use?

Why change?
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Chris2713 View Post
    This may be a dumb question but what whistles do u use or does it not matter

Not a dumb question...and most on here will carry anything from some type of Gonia whistle to the Green Monster or the Blue Dallasasee...if you want to continue to hear , consider wearing some sort of ear protection....YMMV

the important thing is learning WHEN to use it and when not to....
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by Brettttka View Post
    Yes dog has been at pro's buying him as a started dog and will be ready to go. I have the whistles, e collar, crates, etc, just making sure I havent missed anything before he gets here. I am thinking about purchasing a kennel cover for the few time that he wont be able to ride inside the truck with me. Any thoughts on those?
    I have a MudRiver kennel cover and I really like it for short trips. It has some insulation and is pretty water proof with lots of storage pockets. You can run a rachet strap or two through the loops on the top and down to the tie down hooks in your truck bed to secure the kennel. I have the extra large size cover and I think it was around $100.

So I was wondering what everyone thinks is a must have for training. Such as whistles, e collar, bumpers, crates, etc. What are some other things a first timer should have on hand and which ones are recommended? I get my hunting partner back in month or so and want to make sure I have everything I should need for keeping him sharp along with what will be needed during hunting season. Just going to be a hunting dog and go everywhere dog such as work and to the river on weekends. Thanks.

Brett
    Patients ,all that other stuff will do you know good without that "tool"
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

So I was wondering what everyone thinks is a must have for training.

Brett
    A wealthy spouse that has a hobby or likes this one... (Preferably the one you are married to)
    Bill Davis