The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HRC hunt tests newbie question...

Default HRC hunt tests newbie question...

Getting a new pup here in a few weeks and am wanting to run the HRC hunt tests. I've been reading up on the rules and have a good idea...well, good enough to get me started anyway...about how the tests are ran and such. But I was wondering if someone can give me a play by play kind of idea how an entire hunt test weekend goes. By that I mean what do you do when your dog isn't running, does your dog run both days or just one, do most people camp or what, etc.? I'm just trying to get an idea of what the hunt tests are like. From what I've seen, it sure looks like a great time for both people and dogs.

Dogs can run both days, your choice. Generally one run in the morning and one in the afternoon. Watching other dogs run and lots of doing nothing but socializing and talking with friends in between.

There is normally an awards banquet on Sat after the dogs have completed the tests. There is a raffle with lots of good things. The Sat banquet meal is included in the premium. Ribbons are handed out after the meal and raffle.

If you want to stay busy and help the club volunteer to be a marshal. A marshal is the person that assists the judges in setting up and gets the dogs lined up to run. And keeps track of those that have run and those yet to run.

On Sunday the ribbons are handed out as a particular event is completed and judges complete their scoring.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Ok I too am a newbie and have a bunch of questions. When you run more than once, do both runs count or no? So if I pass the morning run and fail the afternoon do I still get points for the morning pass? If I pass both runs do I get points for both runs or just one?
    I plan to go see a test next month a few hours away, and answer some of my questions. I am unfortunate in that there is not a HRC close to where I live. I have a 2+ hour drive to get close to a HRC

Thanks,

Dustin

Each day is a completely different test. So you can get points for each days pass.

Each test, no matter the level will consist of a separate land test and a separate water test.

One of the beauties of HRC is that even if you and/or the dog screws up in the morning session you can still run in the afternoon with a few exceptions. Failing for gun safety, for example, means you are done for the day.

Quote Originally Posted by dgengr View Post
    Ok I too am a newbie and have a bunch of questions. When you run more than once, do both runs count or no? So if I pass the morning run and fail the afternoon do I still get points for the morning pass? If I pass both runs do I get points for both runs or just one?
    I plan to go see a test next month a few hours away, and answer some of my questions. I am unfortunate in that there is not a HRC close to where I live. I have a 2+ hour drive to get close to a HRC

Thanks,

Dustin
    No if you pass in the morning and fail in the afternoon you do not get any points, each day is one test and you must pass the entire day. Each test consists of a land and a water series, your dog must pass both to earn the points and the ribbon. If you fail on Saturday and run on Sunday and pass you will recieve points for your pass on Sunday, or vis versa.
    Daren Galloway

Fairly new to this myself but my advice would be to go out and watch a test if at all possible before you decide to run. You will learn so much.I went and watched my first test this weekend at NEFHRC and its amazing what you can pick up and the people are great and willing to share lots of info.

Quote Originally Posted by dgengr View Post
    Ok I too am a newbie and have a bunch of questions. When you run more than once, do both runs count or no? So if I pass the morning run and fail the afternoon do I still get points for the morning pass? no you will not get points for that day. each day is one test so you have to pass both parts of the test to get points. If I pass both runs do I get points for both runs or just one? points are just for one day. so for started you get 5 points per pass. if you pass both days you get 10 points if you fail one of the day you get 5 points (and to fail a test it could happen on the first bird or the last bird.)

Thanks,

Dustin
    i tried to answer the best i could but here is how a normal weekend will for a started dog and handler. get there early to sign in. stand around and talk or go to the test ground which ever you prefer (if you do the later leave the pup in the truck). watch the test dog run see where the marks are this is helpful for getting you dog to see the marks a little better, the bird boy/girl will blow a duck call to get the pups attention before the bird is thrown (sometimes they are not very loud and might not get the pups attention) then after that sign up with the marshal, but be ready to go get your dog if the marshal asks because their job is to keep dogs in the holding blind. you also may be pushed back because a pro showed up with a few dogs and has to get to another test. before you get to the holding blind air your pup for as long as you can. then to the holding blind then heel your pup to the line on a lead (i would recommend a collar on the pup so you can hold it unless you are absolutely 130% sure it will not break). run the test. thank the judges, then put the pup up. if you have time go watch a seasoned or finished test if not get some lunch really quick and try and be the first one in line for the next series so then you can watch the seasoned or finished test (so you know what to expect when you and the pup get to that level also pretty cool to watch some really good dogs). if it is Saturday wait and have a nice meal and enjoy some time around other dog people if it is Sunday wait till your judges come back to HQ and get your ribbon(if you passed) then head home. also dont forget your whistle and duck call and wear full camo (started will most likely let you just wear a camo shirt but the higher the level you need full camo). also one day is one test so if you want a started title you will need 4 passes for the title (so 4 days at the least if not more if you pup fails one day). if you plan on going to a higher level only 10 points from started will carry over so get your 2 passes and start working toward a higher level unless you feel like you need some more line time.

I've only done 1 hunt test a couple years ago but I think it was AKC so I can't tell you about rules but I can let you know that you'll want your dog to be beyond prepared for the category you are entering. So for instance if you will be running your dog in Started or Junior you will want your dog being able to tackle some of the requirements for Seasoned or Senior level. Also, try to set up some training that simulates the Test conditions. Meaning live birds, guns, and as many other dogs as possible.

My experience may not be the same as others becaus I have a high drive dog but I figured it wouldn't be a problem when I did that first test. I assumed since I could hold onto my dog and that he marked great in training, that it would be easy. Not the case. With all the guns going off and dogs everywhere my dog was so jacked up he was impossible to control. Also, he had only had one other exposure to live ducks. In the hunt test he had to retrieve a not completely dispatched duck and he didn't want to give it up and was crunching on it. I'm not trying to scare you off but if you are new then my advice is to be overprepared.
    Jim Holzgen

A dog is the only thing on this earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
    ~ Josh Billings

Okay, thanks fellas. That all helps a lot!

So when a hunt test entry form says the entry fee is $45, is that per day or for the weekend? I assume that's per day.