The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HRC hunt tests newbie question...

It is the entry fee for one test, one day.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

per day.........Good stuff so far ....... I went back and ran a Started HRC test this past weekend to revitilize myself. A HRC Started test to me is the most fun you can have with your clothes on...LOL The two ribbons my dogs earned this weekend have a special place for me. The KEY to a Started test is for a newbie to BREATHE..... Do NOT get nervous ....its dogs just picking up stuff.............................or not. Good judges make your test FUN and doable. I admit this weekend was as exciting to me as the FIRST Started test I ran back about 1991. Couldn't eat, had butterflies in my stomach, paced around remembering what I was supposed to do. Marshall called my number and I almost forgot one very important thing..........MY DAWG..........LOL. Have FUN !!! Dogs did well...And I got a KISS from the Judge....
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com

you are going to be nervous! its ok to take a breath at the line. lol
    Enjoy

Thanks again guys. Sounds like a lot of fun. I hope to run some hunt tests with the new pup next spring then.

Quote Originally Posted by Breakfast Boy View Post
    Thanks again guys. Sounds like a lot of fun. I hope to run some hunt tests with the new pup next spring then.

X2 thanks. looking forward to seeing one of these test in a few weeks.. I dont think im ready to run started though. maybe in the fall or next spring.

Entry fee covers each day, one land test and one water test....

Quote Originally Posted by Sundown49 aka Otey B View Post
    And I got a KISS from the Judge....
    I'm ain't gonna kiss you, Otey! lol

Lot's of good info for the first time handler has been posted. Remember that HRC does not run in catalog order like AKC does. You can usually run whenever you want if you check in with the marshall early. So, here's my advice; run early on water...reason being that the ducks will float better if they haven't been thrown and retrieved a bunch of times. I usually count the number of dogs that run on land before rebirding, let's say the judges rebird after every 7th dog, then I usually sign my dog up to run 4-5 on water. The ducks should float well and the bird boys should have the bugs worked out by the 4th or 5th dog.
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

HRCH UH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) 1000 Point Club
    UH HR GCH Carolina's Wild March Hare SH JHR RAE OA OAJ WDX CGC TDI (Bunny)
    HR BISS GCH Carolina's Running with the Hare SH JHR RN WDX CGC TDI (Blew)

one more thing in started you can hold your dog, please do so. several dogs I have judged removed themselves by breaking, even after I had advised the handler it would be best to hold them. some of the saddest things to see

Quote Originally Posted by dgengr View Post
    Ok I too am a newbie and have a bunch of questions. When you run more than once, do both runs count or no? So if I pass the morning run and fail the afternoon do I still get points for the morning pass? If I pass both runs do I get points for both runs or just one?
    I plan to go see a test next month a few hours away, and answer some of my questions. I am unfortunate in that there is not a HRC close to where I live. I have a 2+ hour drive to get close to a HRC

Thanks,

Dustin
    Where do you live in Miss. Lots of close clubs.

I want to add - go to the HRC web site and read the rules on Started tests. There are things Started handlers forgot The dog doesn't have to deliver to hand, there isn't an age minimum like AKC, you can recast your dog on a mark if they have an issue. I judged Started both days last weekend and had 50 dogs each day. It was so much fun. My co-judge and I cheer for the dogs as much as the handlers/owners.
    Patti

HRCH UH Benton's Magnum Opus MH WC - Magnum (500 points) September 11, 1994 - May 9, 2007
    HRCH UH Fowl Play's Dust Devil - Dusty (500 points) February 5, 1998 - November 15, 2006
    HRCH UH Benton's Ria of Opus CGC - Ria (1520 points) March 2, 2002 - August 6, 2012 we miss you baby girl
    HRCH CH UR01 Go West Mamma's Last Nerve CGC RN- Emma (495 points and counting)
    HR GRCH Benton's Opus Pocket Change CGC- Penny (85 points - just getting started)