The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HRC hunt tests newbie question...

Breakfast Boy:

Kankakee River HRC is having their hunt test this weekend, Saturday and Sunday. Location is Hebron, Indiana, rough coordinates are I65 & Hwy 2. You should be able to go to the HRC web and get a premium that lists the address for the hunt test grounds, which will be the Grand Kankakee Marsh Park. Throw on some camo and go watch the different stakes. I bet their will be a bunch of good people in the Kankakee Club that will bend your ear on HRC. You might even find a training group to help you get started. Welcome and enjoy the HRC journey.
    Last edited by Steve Pittiglio; 04-18-2013 at 09:35 PM. Reason: adds

Quote Originally Posted by Breakfast Boy View Post
    Getting a new pup here in a few weeks and am wanting to run the HRC hunt tests. I've been reading up on the rules and have a good idea...well, good enough to get me started anyway...about how the tests are ran and such. But I was wondering if someone can give me a play by play kind of idea how an entire hunt test weekend goes. By that I mean what do you do when your dog isn't running, does your dog run both days or just one, do most people camp or what, etc.? I'm just trying to get an idea of what the hunt tests are like. From what I've seen, it sure looks like a great time for both people and dogs.
    Play by play...here goes:

Friday afternoon before the test: load dogs, gear, clothes, cooler and drive to hotel. Air dogs throw clothes in hotel and go eat supper (you may call this meal dinner), then go to Wal-Mart and buy socks because I always forget them. While at Wal-Mart get a 30 pack of Natural Light and ice it down in the cooler. Drive back to hotel, air dogs, crack open a brew and go online and read all the interesting stuff here on RTF. While enjoying your libations, you'll be receiving calls/texts from friends inquiring "where you are", etc. eventually friends arrive and enjoy several of your ice cold beers. Go back to Wal-Mart and get another 30 pack. Usually around midnight all of the friends retire to their respective quarters and its time to hit the sack and rest up for all of the fun that will start bright and early tomorrow morning. Sometimes (this is optional) you will be too excited about the hunt test and you won't be able to sleep, in these instances I suggest going online and looking for local "entertainment".

Saturday morning: Return from the "gentlemen's club" at 3:30ish and get two hours of sleep (2 hours of sleep MAYBE, usually you are kept awake by slamming doors, loud music, gun shots, or barking dogs). Arise at 5:30 to cease the day! Stumble to the breakfast area and enjoy that free continental breakfast provided by the 1/2 star hotel (FYI these hotels attract us dog folks like moths to a flame). Go air dogs and remind yourself that it was the free breakfast that isn't agreeing with you and that your qweezy stomach has absolutely NOTHING to do with the 17 beers and 3 Long Island Iced teas you had last night. Load dogs and head to test site. Go to the check-in and get your program and head to the your test location. Locate the Marshall and get on the list. Get your folding chair set it up beside the gallery and kick back.

Saturday afternoon: You have had a blast! Met new friends, your dog was amazing, life couldn't get any better. You attend the awards ceremony and banquet, and all is well UNTIL you decide to purchase a few raffle tickets. You look in your wallet and it is noticeably thinner, where is my cash? Oh! All those lap dances last night! You're at the hunt test, BROKE AND 200 MILES FROM HOME! Well I gues you shouldn't feel bad, afterall "Jasmine" and "Cheyenne" are dancing their way through college and they needed that tax-free $200 cash to help pay rent, etc. Oh well, you enjoy the banquet and then head back to the hotel and air dogs. On the route back to the hotel you go to the ATM and get some cash, and then to Wal-Mart for another 30 pack. Saturday night you are really tired so you decide to hit the sack early so that you can get some rest before tomorrow's test. Go online and check out RTF, drink a few beers and watch television. Then comes a knock on the door, your friends inquiring about the location of the local entertainment you try to give directions but you're not from here and neither are they so in your compromised mental state you make the best decision for everyone, you decide to go with them so that they won't get lost. Long night AGAIN, almost a repeat of last night only difference is this time you help "Roxy" and "Sparkles" with their tuition!

Sunday morning: Crawl out of bed at 7:30, skip breakfast, air dogs at the test site because you're running late, try to sleep between running dogs because you have a 3 1/2 hour drive home tonight and you have only slept 4 hours out of the past 50. Your dog is outstanding in the morning!

Sunday afternoon: Your dog looks like a dog from the pound in the afternoon as he goes into autopilot mode and blows you off on the blind. Bid your friends farewell and head home. Look in your wallet and notice once again no cash!

Enjoy the ride,
    Lonnie
    Last edited by Lonnie Spann; 04-19-2013 at 10:34 AM.
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA! Lonnie, that was awesome! Thanks for taking the time to write that up. Too funny (although I'm sure much of that is true).

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pittiglio View Post
    Breakfast Boy:

Kankakee River HRC is having their hunt test this weekend, Saturday and Sunday. Location is Hebron, Indiana, rough coordinates are I65 & Hwy 2. You should be able to go to the HRC web and get a premium that lists the address for the hunt test grounds, which will be the Grand Kankakee Marsh Park. Throw on some camo and go watch the different stakes. I bet their will be a bunch of good people in the Kankakee Club that will bend your ear on HRC. You might even find a training group to help you get started. Welcome and enjoy the HRC journey.
    Thanks Steve! I can't make it over this weekend, but will eventually get over there one day. If for nothing else, to run the pup next spring.

I use to run "back to backs" (Saturday and Sunday)......not any more. If the dog is "on the edge" Saturday, he may just "loose it" on the Sunday. There's nothing quite like having to ask, "Who is this dog and where did he come from?"

Going slower is often faster.
    Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    KwickLabs Fountain of Youth - Pounce
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)

Quote Originally Posted by KwickLabs View Post
    I use to run "back to backs" (Saturday and Sunday)......not any more. If the dog is "on the edge" Saturday, he may just "loose it" on the Sunday. There's nothing quite like having to ask, "Who is this dog and where did he come from?"

Going slower is often faster.
    LOL..i have one of those dogs that saturday morning he's out of control. saturday afternoon usually sits baking in the truck cause he didn't make it out of the morning series and i think it slows him down a bit for the next morning. sunday morning acts like he wants to play. Sunday afternoon is just a crap shoot.

You forget arriving home to a pissed wife, that's wondering(knowing) why you have glitter on your chin...
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckquilizer View Post
    You forget arriving home to a pissed wife, that's wondering(knowing) why you have glitter on your chin...
    Note to self, always give the dogs a big hug so that the dog scent covers up the perfume AND always use the shamwow to remove the fairy dust
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).

and one 3.5Hr ride home, roll the rear window up with the cuff of the shirt you wore the night before letting the rest blow in the wind.

How deep is the grass for the a hunt test? Do they use birds or bumpers?