The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: HRC hunt tests newbie question...

Started should be run in relatively light cover with dead birds.
    KIP

Lonnie that was great! Good insite. Gotta love those raffle tickets. And the banquets. Good food and fun. Way to meet lots of people. Yes and you are broke when you get home until next pay!
    I left my 2 dogs in the hotel room while I was chatting up with some friends. I had run my bath water with good intentions of turning in early before Blackie led me around the next day. While I was out and when I returned the two dogs must have jumped in and out of the tub and onto the bed etc. Needless to say I had a mess to clean. I had to get new towels sheets etc. However I did have a great weekend and always do with the HRC events. Don't worry about anything when you start. The judges are very helpful. Good luck to you.
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    Pink Lady

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

This is what I would do. Actually, this is what I did when I was learning the HRC game: If u r running ur dog in Started or Seasoned, then as soon as u r through, u go over to Finished & u stay at a Finished Flight all day long watching, watching & watching....especially the veteran pros. U will eventually learn what works & what doesn't, who's got it going, & what the ones that got it going r doing in specific test situations to accomodate. If u r running Finished, then just stay there & do the above. Finished at a hunt test is where u want to be, where u want to end up & where u can definitely learn (if u watch the right ones) in order to get better. And I would advise to watch & not to engage urself in a long-winded conversation about duck hunting.

All good info thus far, as far as the tests themselves. Here are the requirements

Started: 2- Land Singles and 2 Water Singles both should be 60-90 degrees. Mentioned before dog can have normal collar (no electronics). Dog can be held on lead/leash until mark hits ground/water. Most tests have gunner to shoot marks so your hands are free for the dog.

Seasoned: Land Double, Water double, Diversion, Walk-up, & Blind on water and land. These can be in any order or together except the water/land doubles. No collar and only use lead to the bucket. You will be handling the gun and judged on gun safety.

Finished: Land Triple, Water Triple, Honor, diversion, Land/Water Blind. The dog will get a triple and a blind on water/land. Judges will mix in diversion/honor into morning or evening.

Hope this explains the tests and not just how bad your hangover will be, for me the butterflys in the holding blind are worse than the headaches from the night before!

Reading all of this sounds right up my alley!! Guess I may have to try at least a started test this fall. Who doesn't like dogs, beer, and strippers! Great add another hobby to my list my wife will be so happy LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Brettttka View Post
    Reading all of this sounds right up my alley!! Guess I may have to try at least a started test this fall. Who doesn't like dogs, beer, and strippers! Great add another hobby to my list my wife will be so happy LOL.
    Just bring $1's...lots of $1's
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

Wait, I thought most tests had strippers at the sat. night tailgate? Or is that just AKC?

Quote Originally Posted by Daren Galloway View Post
    No if you pass in the morning and fail in the afternoon you do not get any points, .
    Is this true for SHR?

I thought if you failed the Land in the a.m. but passed the Water that afternoon, you still got 1 Water pass for your dog. As well as some Test allowing for STARTED dogs to run the Land again that afternoon (IF TIME PERMITS).

What exactly would count for camo pants? Does it have to be actual camo design?

Quote Originally Posted by Golden6824 View Post
    What exactly would count for camo pants? Does it have to be actual camo design?
    Doooooooooodd!!! 2 whole pages and finally someone just hadda go kick the ant hill.

Don't ask how they kill the ducks OK?

Some things are just best left unsaid regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci