The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: dog food

Quote Originally Posted by wild timber kennels View Post
    I am feeding a 24/20 sport mix I have been feeding it for several years but here lately I'm not getting as good of a coat coat on my dogs and after working a dog hard for few days in a row there not bouncing back as good as I like. And the third thing is I feed twice what most people feed and dog still acts like it starving when I feed her around 6 cups a day!
    Dusty,

IMHO, the entire line of "Sportmix" dog food is made of low quality ingredients. Don't just look at the percentages of Protein and Fat list on the Guaranteed Analysis when you compare dog foods. Also look at the ingredients they use to make the food. You should concentrate on the ingredients up to and including the first fat source.

Your Sport Mix Energy Plus Adult Mini Chunk (24/20) lists these ingredients: Meat Meal, Ground Yellow Corn, Chicken Fat. What kind of "Meal Meal"? Could be any animal's remains after rendering out the fat, including dead, diseased, road kill, and some have even suggested euthanized pets (traces of phenolbarbital, the drug used to "put animals to sleep", have reportedly been found in samples of "Meat Meal").

At the other end of the quality spectrum you can compare to Orijen Regional Red which lists the following ingredients: Fresh deboned wild boar*, fresh deboned lamb*, fresh beef liver*, fresh deboned pork*, lamb meal, peas, salmon meal, russet potato, herring meal, fresh whole eggs*, fresh deboned bison*, potato starch, fresh deboned salmon*, pacific whitefish meal, fresh deboned walleye*, salmon oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols). No mystery meats. All fresh, never frozen, no preservatives. You get the idea; just top notch ingredients. Yes, there is a top notch price tag to go with it; about $90 for a 28.6 lbs bag. Not all of Orijen's products are this high, but none are cheap.

I'm not saying you have to go to this extreme to get good dog food. I'm just using Orijen to contrast with Sportmix.

Brad B's advice is good; "feed what your dogs do best on that you can afford". Instead of what you can afford, maybe what you are comfortable paying for. Probably isn't "comfortable" going from paying around $30 for a 50 lbs bag to $90 for a 28 lbs bag, but there are a lot of decent quality foods in between.

Your dog(s) will thank you for feeding them better quality food. Good Luck!

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer

I'm feeding to my 4 dogs Victor Select High Energy 24/20. You have dealers with in 25 miles.Good ingredients and a lot less expensive than some of the bigger name brands.

Jeff, I'm with you on the quality of the Orijen. The main reason I don't feed it is that one of my dogs is a total chow hound. No joke, if she only got 2.5 cups of food daily I think she would be in a frenzy, LOL. I stick to foods that let me give her 3.5 cups a day just to satisfy her appetite. Currently she's on Merrick.
    Pam
    HR Roughwater Stacked & Packed, "Babe," MH, CD, RN, CGC, WDQ

I'm on my 3rd bag of Origen regional red. I am very happy with the results so far. He has way less waste in the yard and his coat is very noticeably softer from the nutrisource I was feeding. I'm not rich by any means but how much is having a happy, healthy dog worth to you. Yes the price is outrageous but only feeding one dog I figure why not give him the absolute best food possible.

Fromm...made in WI. Family owned.
    Thanks,

Erik
    --
    Old Oak's Irish Poet ~ "Teegan"

Sire: Irish FTCH Rockenhart Voyager
    Dam: Old Oak's Ipswich Addie JH

Nutrisource 30/20 has been very good for my dogs
    HRC- Our season never ends

"Shoot fast or shoot last"

HR UH Nilsson's on a wing n a prayer SH WCX

I feed Fromm Gold Adult formula, made in Wisconsin with good quality ingredients (NOT from China).....great food and about the same price as Pro Plan.

Just switched to Euk. was on proplan for 10 years but something changed with their formula. Both my dogs started turning their noses up at the last 2 bags so made the switch. Coats are so much nicer and energy levels are through the roof with less feed.

I've been feeding Fromm for a long time and am very happy with it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wild timber kennels View Post
    I am wondering what everyone thanks is the best high end dog food? I going to switch foods and was wondering not getting the results I want out of my food! Thanks Dusty
    Dusty, Dr. Tim's Pursuit or Momentum, Annamaet Ultra and Red Paw are the best foods you can buy. These are all serious, working dog foods. All three used by the top sled dog teams. Dr. Tim's back to back Iditarod wins.