The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: dog food

Would some of you who are nutritionists take a look at the ingredient list of the ProPlan Salmon food and give me your opinion.

http://www.proplan.com/dry-dog-food/...omach-formula/

It's called "Sensitive Skin & Stomach" and though I don't have a sensitivity concern with any of mine, I chose the food based on what I thought were pretty good ingredients. But what do I know?

Been feeding it for 10+ years and all have done well on it.

JS
    “Don’t wave your phony patriotism in MY face! If you really love America, open your wallet and hire an American kid to build what you buy. Think of all our problems that might solve.” Doug Fraser (paraphrased) 1980

Real Americans buy American.

Snowshoe's All American Guy SH, UDX, WCX ... CODY ... at the bridge
    CH. Snowshoe's Girl Crazy MH, UD, WCX, SDHF, OS ... PRESLEY
    ... at the bridge
    Millpond's Baby Boomer MH*** ... BABE
    Snowshoe's Crazy For Lovin You SH ... NELSON

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JS View Post
    Would some of you who are nutritionists take a look at the ingredient list of the ProPlan Salmon food and give me your opinion.

http://www.proplan.com/dry-dog-food/...omach-formula/

It's called "Sensitive Skin & Stomach" and though I don't have a sensitivity concern with any of mine, I chose the food based on what I thought were pretty good ingredients. But what do I know?

Been feeding it for 10+ years and all have done well on it.

JS
    It is pretty low in animal protein, with quite a bit coming from vegetable sources. Canola Meal is very high in protein like Corn Gluten, as is Oatmeal but not near Canola Meal.

The first ingredient is Salmon but more than likely it is just skin and salmon guts. Fish and mammals do not have to be labelled to distinguish by-products from meat like chicken does. Also, it is first in the list because it contains water. It would be better if the first ingredient was "Salmon Meal" because that is dried and concentrated.

All of Purina's fish meals are preserved with ethoxyquin which can cause cancer.

I hate to tell you all that but you asked. If the dogs do Ok on it that's all that matters. That said, Victor makes two fish-based foods with much better ingredients that probably cost less than that one. Pro Plan is by no means an inexpensive food.

Relatively speaking, fish-based foods are much more expensive than other animal proteins. You can get much better quality chicken-based foods for the same or less.
    Last edited by SpinRetriever; 04-21-2013 at 01:09 PM.

Can you get purine in bulk?
    Wild Timbers Alabama's Showgirl (2 For 2 SHR passes)

The board nutritionists won't approve, but I feed PMI Exclusive. Have for almost a year and I haven't seen any drop off in energy, coat quality or firm poops since moving from Eukanuba.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MSDOGS1976 View Post
    The board nutritionists won't approve, but I feed PMI Exclusive. Have for almost a year and I haven't seen any drop off in energy, coat quality or firm poops since moving from Eukanuba.
    PMI Exclusive is a great food and a great value. The Purple Bag is good stuff. It has a real following.

Are the "Board Nutritionists" kind of like the "Breeder Police" only we're dog food snobs?

I agree with SpinRetriever concerning PMI Exclusive. I used to feed it, but it was inconvenient for me to get. One of the foods I currently use is Premium Edge which is made by Diamond (yeah, I hear the Booo's). It is very similar to PMI Exclusive (Red Bag), but with a few added veggies and such. BTW, if the Diamond thing bothers you, I'm pretty sure PMI Exclusive is produced at Diamond's facility.

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer

It may not be the feed a trip to your vet might be in order?

Quote Originally Posted by Swack View Post
    Are the "Board Nutritionists" kind of like the "Breeder Police" only we're dog food snobs?

I agree with SpinRetriever concerning PMI Exclusive. I used to feed it, but it was inconvenient for me to get. One of the foods I currently use is Premium Edge which is made by Diamond (yeah, I hear the Booo's). It is very similar to PMI Exclusive (Red Bag), but with a few added veggies and such. BTW, if the Diamond thing bothers you, I'm pretty sure PMI Exclusive is produced at Diamond's facility.

Swack
    It was but is now manufactured by American Nutrition in PA and Texas Farm Products. I emailed PMI prior to making the switch.

Banned

It was but is now manufactured by American Nutrition in PA and Texas Farm Products. I emailed PMI prior to making the switch.
    That is what I heard but Red Flannel is made at AN in PA and Texas Farm Products for Exclusive and the grain free foods they have.

Texas Farm Products owns the brand Precise, which is a really good higher-end food. That is a good plant.

I saw the food when I was getting supplies yesterday and the 35lb bags are $33, buy 9 get 1 free.

So compare the Maroon and Purple bags to Pro Plan, which cost 50% more. I can't see how Pro Plan is worth the money, especially considering the ingredients in it.

Quote Originally Posted by SpinRetriever View Post
    That is what I heard but Red Flannel is made at AN in PA and Texas Farm Products for Exclusive and the grain free foods they have.

Texas Farm Products owns the brand Precise, which is a really good higher-end food. That is a good plant.

I saw the food when I was getting supplies yesterday and the 35lb bags are $33, buy 9 get 1 free.

So compare the Maroon and Purple bags to Pro Plan, which cost 50% more. I can't see how Pro Plan is worth the money, especially considering the ingredients in it.
    SpinRetriever,

I agree, but advertising works (and also adds to the price of the product)!

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer