The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker

Thread: Criminologist's questions about Sandy Hook

Default Criminologist's questions about Sandy Hook

Some interesting points are made
    http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/...andy_hook.html
    A Sandy Hook timeline at CNN contains the following claims:
    1. Police and other first responders arrived on scene about 20 minutes after the first calls.

2. The gunman took his own life, police said. He took out a handgun and shot himself in a classroom as law enforcement officers approached, officials said.

A March 28 post at CNN asserts the following:

3. Lanza didn't make it home alive. Nor did the 26 people -- 20 of them schoolchildren ages 6 and 7 -- he shot dead in less than five minutes, firing one bullet roughly every two seconds he was at Sandy Hook Elementary School.

So, the people Lanza killed were dead in less than 5 minutes, Lanza shot himself as "law enforcement officers approached", but it also took "police and other first responders" 20 minutes to arrive on the scene?

Doesn't a reasonable [COLOR=#11B000 !important]construction of the above at least raise the question: so what was Lanza doing in the 15 minutes or so after the killings and before he shot himself f-- particularly when Lanza is described as trying to kill as many people as possible, and when Lanza is described as having been found dead alongside a multitude of unspent rounds?[/COLOR]

Please notice that it doesn't matter for purposes of this issue whether the claims are accurate; what matters is that CNN asserts that they are -- so why aren't they asking the obvious follow up questions?
    Lanza next arrived at teacher Victoria Soto's classroom. Soto is believed to have hidden her 6- and 7-year old students in a classroom closet. When Lanza demanded to know where the children were, Soto tried to divert him to the other end of the school by saying that her students were in the auditorium.
    But six of Soto's students tried to flee. Lanza shot them, Soto and another teacher who was in the room. Later, in their search for survivors, police found the remaining seven of Soto's students still hiding in the closet. They told the police what had happened.

It seems there is only one way both of these accounts can be true: if there were at least 19 children in Soto's classroom (six who were shot dead, six found by Rosen, and seven who were hidden in the closet and discovered by law enforcement; it seems very unlikely that the seven children found by law enforcement numbered among those found by Rosen, and not only because of the numeric disparity -- why would police have dispatched the children to who knows where after having discovered them?).

No matter what, though, the accounts suggest that at least six children were moving.

And, don't forget that six adults numbered among the dead -- why weren't more adults wounded?

Of the two wounded at Newtown, to the best of my knowledge we have information about only one -- Natalie Hammond.

The linked article makes clear that Hammond is supposed to have come "face-to-face" with Lanza.

Evidently, Hammond was shot in the foot, leg, and hand.

Why was Lanza even aiming at the lower extremities, and, if he wasn't but hit Hammond there anyway, what does that say about his accuracy -- especially when you consider that Hammond is said to have been an adult target in very close proximity to Lanza?

In any event, the damage Lanza dealt to Hammond couldn't have been extraordinarily grave, since 67 days later, sans crutches, Hammond strode across the rink at the Boston Bruins game and dropped the puck.

What does that say about Lanza's kill accuracy?

And what about the walls in the school -- might rounds have penetrated the walls, and, if so, why weren't more people wounded?

Finally, there is talk that Lanza might have been psychotic.

In their study of a sample of mass murderers, Hempel et al. found that "the average kill to wound ratio of the psychotic subjects was 1:1.4" (p.218).

That ratio does not exactly fit Sandy Hook, does it?
    A statistical analysis of 30 years' worth of mass public shooting hard data shows that the odds are 2,000 to 1 against the processes underlying that data accounting for the kill/wound figures of the Sandy Hook shooting.
    The 15-minute gap where no mayhem occurred seems most unusual to me. Why wasn't he running through the school looking for more targets? If 6 children came out of the closet, why didn't he look in the closet for more?

One of the comments mentioned that the teacher and principle (who were killed by Lanza) had been two of three school staff that had been pushing Lanza's mother to get him institutionalized. The third person was not in the school that day. So, maybe his action wasn't completely random?
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    Some interesting points are made
    http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/...andy_hook.html

The 15-minute gap where no mayhem occurred seems most unusual to me. Why wasn't he running through the school looking for more targets? If 6 children came out of the closet, why didn't he look in the closet for more?

One of the comments mentioned that the teacher and principle (who were killed by Lanza) had been two of three school staff that had been pushing Lanza's mother to get him institutionalized. The third person was not in the school that day. So, maybe his action wasn't completely random?
    Read the details of columbine to see how mnay facts change when the story was finally put together, things the shooters said were said in a different contect then first thought. Then read about them shooting at cops from the library, and continuing the rampage while the cops were outside still. Many facts of these situations are still unanswered years later becuase the only people who really know are dead.
    My Father,My Friend,My teacher,and now My Angel~ 04/21/1956-03/21/2011 You will always be missed. I hope to learn half of the stuff you knew.

~Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted~

This totally flies in the face of what was reported by the very men who responded to the shooting. Quoted from the article:

They made it in under three minutes, arriving in the parking lot while gunfire could still be heard.

Here is a link for anyone who cares to read what they said about that day.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/29/ny...pagewanted=all
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)