The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Bird throwers

Default Great Bird throwers

Another thread mentioned some. But I recall Richard Pumphrey of ID as one of the best I ever saw. especially with flyers and his 28 gauge shotgun... Chad Evans had a heck of an arm too. Chad is from the Salt Lake area.

Who are some of the really good arms you can recall?
    Bill Davis

You are the best I ever saw!
    Stan b & Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    you da man!!!!!
    Thanks Stan... But the two guys I mentioned above were in a different league. Richard is no longer with us. I'm pretty sure Chad is out of the game. There are other big arms out there... Don't see them as much with so many clubs relying on the wingers. To me, a good thrower is better.
    Bill Davis

This two guys right here,was able to relieve Mike at a few trials but being in my teens just never lived up. Jim26.jpg
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

Richard Pumphry was the best I ever saw, but Al Wilson has two grandsons I would have liked to see throw with Richard. I was at the Black Dog Samish WA. trial two weeks ago, it was blowing stinko and the gunner was throwing with the wind, but he was throwing birds way farther than I have ever seen, that includes Richard. Like I said the wind was at his back, but my gosh it was far. I think he was Buckle Vandebrake's son.

John

A number of years back, Jim Gonia's daughter used to come to the trials in the Tacoma area. She had a hell of an arm. She could out throw all the young football players who would show up to work. The boys usually didn't come back for day two...
    Bill Davis

Distance isn`t everything ,knowing when to help and when to shut up are essential as accuracy.IMHO,Jim
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

Quote Originally Posted by jd6400 View Post
    Distance isn`t everything ,knowing when to help and when to shut up are essential as accuracy.IMHO,Jim
    I agree being a good gunner involves a lot more than just throwing a bird, but I think Bill is just talking about guys with great arms, especially at field trials. I'm proud of my arm, I can throw a duck about sixty feet on a consistent basis. With a strong wind at his back, Buckle's son was throwing his duck at least sixty yards, many dogs remembered where the gunner was standing and hunted the heck out of that area where a bird would normally have landed. Call it unfair if you want, but the better markers watched the bird to the ground and hunted that area, though there were a lot of failures on that mark where dogs didn't remember either spot.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    Richard Pumphry was the best I ever saw, but Al Wilson has two grandsons I would have liked to see throw with Richard. I was at the Black Dog Samish WA. trial two weeks ago, it was blowing stinko and the gunner was throwing with the wind, but he was throwing birds way farther than I have ever seen, that includes Richard. Like I said the wind was at his back, but my gosh it was far. I think he was Buckle Vandebrake's son.

John
    Richard was good...but Al's grandson from Logan UT is a big strong kid that threw for us at the N.Utah trial a couple of years ago and we actually had to have him back down because he threw the duck so far in the Derby...

the best throwers are at the National....because they throw under pressure...so that would include WD Connor, Jerry Patopea (when he was younger) and Tom Sorenson....present day, that would be Ted Miller
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    Richard was good...but Al's grandson from Logan UT is a big strong kid that threw for us at the N.Utah trial a couple of years ago and we actually had to have him back down because he threw the duck so far in the Derby...

the best throwers are at the National....because they throw under pressure...so that would include WD Connor, Jerry Patopea (when he was younger) and Tom Sorenson....present day, that would be Ted Miller
    Richard Pumphrey threw at his share of Nationals... I can vividly remember a throw across Silver Creek at Picabo, ID when the Natl Am was at Sun Valley in 1995. In the 4th series I think. Pretty sure Richard and Chad had to take turns because no one else (who was there) could make the throw. Ate the dogs up... Lean Macs first win at a Natl...
    Last edited by huntinman; 04-17-2013 at 12:23 PM.
    Bill Davis