The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Bird throwers

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    I agree being a good gunner involves a lot more than just throwing a bird, but I think Bill is just talking about guys with great arms, especially at field trials. I'm proud of my arm, I can throw a duck about sixty feet on a consistent basis. With a strong wind at his back, Buckle's son was throwing his duck at least sixty yards, many dogs remembered where the gunner was standing and hunted the heck out of that area where a bird would normally have landed. Call it unfair if you want, but the better markers watched the bird to the ground and hunted that area, though there were a lot of failures on that mark where dogs didn't remember either spot.

John

X2, Bucko's son can throw a duck 40-50 yds and he isn't a big guy.
    "Women are like labradors...,they all have their quarks."~Phil Robertson

Bobby Swan (Jim's son), Eddie Noga (Linda and Gary's son), Bill Schrader, and 2 of my training buddies John Haverstock (he can throw for ditance, he can throw for accuracy, he can throw for both), and Doug Grimes. I never saw Junior Berth throw but he was legendary as was at least one of his daughters who as a teenager threw a boat bird for me as well as any man could have.

Many of the pros started out as bird throwers and flier shooters, never saw one who didn't have a good arm, Dave Rorem can throw one into the next county, and Rick Roberts had an effortless left hand delivery on both fliers and dead birds.
    Last edited by EdA; 04-17-2013 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jd6400 View Post
    Distance isn`t everything ,knowing when to help and when to shut up are essential as accuracy.IMHO,Jim
    I probably fit more in this category... At least when it come to measuring arms! No one has accused me of knowing when to shut up
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    Richard Pumphrey threw at his share of Nationals... I can vividly remember a throw across Silver Creek at Picabo, ID when the Natl Am was at Sun Valley I'm 1995. In the 4th series I think. Pretty sure Richard and Chad had to take turns because no one else (who was there) could make the throw. Ate the dogs up... Lean Macs first win at a Natl...
    My second judging assignment was an Open at Charlo in 1998, my co-judge was Greg McDaniels from Idaho. We saw an opportunity for an excellent key bird for our fourth series, but it called for a consistent throw across a fair piece of water with the gunner standing at least fifteen yards back from the edge of the water. Bad luck for Richard, but lucky for us, Richard had lost all his dogs by then, so he volunteered to throw. He made every throw with a nice arc right on target. Many-many dogs hunted the point fifteen yards in front of Richard's holding blind, and never even thought of swimming across the water to the bird.

I miss Richard and I miss Greg, two really great dog guys. A funny little Richard story, my wife and I were new to the sport and Cheryl was marshaling the Derby or Qual, she had the callbacks and everyone but one dog was called back, so she said it just like that. Richard took her gently aside and told her it would be better to call out all the numbers rather than single the one loser out. He was very kind and generous to newbies.

John

Charles Dygos of North Bay Ontatio who winter trains in Center Hill, FL has a great arm & knows when to help!

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    Richard Pumphry was the best I ever saw, but Al Wilson has two grandsons I would have liked to see throw with Richard. I was at the Black Dog Samish WA. trial two weeks ago, it was blowing stinko and the gunner was throwing with the wind, but he was throwing birds way farther than I have ever seen, that includes Richard. Like I said the wind was at his back, but my gosh it was far. I think he was Buckle Vandebrake's son.

John
    I can't wait to call him "Buckle" lol!! hahahaa..

Frankie can throw 60 yards. It's flat out amazing. He barely winds up and the bird just springs out. Every throw is a perfect high arch. His sister has got a really good arm too- They both worked the NWRC Trial and most others around here. Kills me when they work a HT and the judges make them reload a winger. Such a waste of talent.
    Last edited by Paul "Happy" Gilmore; 04-17-2013 at 12:25 PM.

Tony Romo has been known to throw a few "dead ducks" in his day....usually to the wrong target
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Guess my claim to fame was invited to throw at natonal amateur in mich. 75 I think.All the pros were there to help.Threw the go bird 1st series and went out on the second series with an ankle sprain planting the blind....haaa. Jim
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    I can't wait to call him "Buckle" lol!! hahahaa..

Frankie can throw 60 yards. It's flat out amazing. He barely winds up and the bird just springs out. Every throw is a perfect high arch. His sister has got a really good arm too- They both worked the NWRC Trial and most others around here. Kills me when they work a HT and the judges make them reload a winger. Such a waste of talent.
    Too funny, I met him when I judged the Samish trial about five years ago, thought it was a strange name, but I heard it as Buckle and have called him that ever since. He must have thought I had a speech impediment, or he was just too polite to correct me all these years.

John

Quote Originally Posted by jd6400 View Post
    Guess my claim to fame was invited to throw at national amateur in mich. 75 I think.All the pros were there to help.Threw the go bird 1st series and went out on the second series with an ankle sprain planting the blind....haaa. Jim

Right year wrong state not Michigan...because that was Jackson Hole Wyoming, and Clint went nine series with Judge...Corky won it..

oops my bad wrong year 76 was Michigan...won By Charles Hill with Dandy...Lanse and Roy were both Finalists....
    Last edited by BonMallari; 04-17-2013 at 12:54 PM.
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"