The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Bird throwers

You had to know him John,he had me train before the nat.am in 76.Coming off of track season I was in decent shape but none the less.No chairs in at bird throwing stations either.When you thought you getting low on bumpers you better be getting them inbetween dogs and back by the nxt dog.Most of those were 2 and 300 yd sprints.Man I miss that guy,wish he could see what we do nowadays. Jim
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Throwing a flyer is becoming a lost art. I have seen a fair amount of people throw a nice dead bird,,,but I have seen relatively few throw a good flyer. Richard P taught me how to throw a flyer and I remember him distinctly telling me a nice big flyer makes the test. That was about 25 years ago. There is simple physics involved in throwing a good flyer . I have tried to pass down this info to many people over the years only to be poo pooed. 95 percent of the people who throw flyers in the retriever sport are phase 2 throwers.

Pete
    It`s all in the release.A duck is altogether different and a pigeon in the wrong hands is a bad thing. Your right,many guys try to power and don`t know how to hold a pheasant,I hold a hen differently.
    Last edited by jd6400; 04-17-2013 at 01:55 PM.
    Jim Weitzel
    Proud member of Ole Roy prostaff

Shane Rupert (used to work for Bill Schrader) could throw a helluva bird.

The best thrower I ever saw and no one could replace him because he threw far and accurate. Van Ames wife's son. I wish I could remember his name. Unbelievable throw.
    Gentle in what you do. Firm in how you do it.

CH SILVERCREEK MURRAY SAMUEL (MURRAY) WDQ CGC MH *** 2/16/00 - 12/26/12
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE (LARRY son of Murray) WDQ MH ***
    LPK DELAWARE RIVER WHISPERING COVE **(SAVAGE SAM son of FC Chester MH)
    WESTWIND WHISPERING COVE JAY ** ( Larry's son and Murray's grandson)

2 of the best from Minnesota, Natalie Belt and Jim Duffy.
    Dennis
    Revilo Tru Betrlate Than Never (AKC & CKC QAA) 1/17/96 - 6/22/09
    High Voltage Power Ranger MH

Pumphrey - what a loss to the sport

Bobby? I think his name was, worked for Eric Fangsrud - I can remember a trial @ Warm Springs where the judge asked him to throw the bird - had already decided where to have the holding blind. When he threw the bird the arc was directly over the blind. Managed to turn a good test into a ?????????? The funny thing was, the lead judge had already judged a National .

Jim Gonia, also a very good shot. But I think there's a lot of pro's that are in that category.

Hal Loop had a son that could give you a good throw.

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!

30 years ago I was kinda proud that I could chuck a duck as far as anybody I ever met (no, I'm not a rocket scientist). For years kept hearing "yea he's good, but you should see Bobby Swan throw a bird". Got so they would round me up when they needed a tough bird thrown, but still I'd here "yea, but he's not as good as Bobby."

One day I'm at Shreveport at Bubba's place and they come get me to take over throwing a real long dead bird in the Open. I get out there and there is a strapping young kid popping for me and after every throw hes critiquing my height and distance. Well I'm getting flat annoyed because I don't think anybody could throw it higher and further than I am and my feet are coming off the ground trying to get the damn kid to shut up and be satisfied. Best he ever said though was "not bad". Found out after we were all done it was none other than Bobby shooting the popper for me (he had a sore shoulder that day). Never did ever get to see him throw a bird.

After that, whenever I heard how good Bobby Swan was at throwing I'd say, "Yea he's good, but he has to pop for me when we work together".

Don
    Last edited by DSemple; 04-17-2013 at 03:52 PM.
    Just for the record I have very fine dogs. Some of the best in the whole country....or at least on my own block anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by mcpoland View Post
    Another good "arm" is/was Andy Attar. Bill, you remember one of the nationals where they had a gun station throwing off a hill and down into a slough with nasty going. Andy started the series but after they replaced him nobody got the bird down where it needed to be. All the replacement throwers had to walk further out/down to try and get the bird to the right spot. Another guy with a good arm was Dave Mosher.
    Oh yeah. McCall. 2003. (I think).
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Throwing a flyer is becoming a lost art. I have seen a fair amount of people throw a nice dead bird,,,but I have seen relatively few throw a good flyer. Richard P taught me how to throw a flyer and I remember him distinctly telling me a nice big flyer makes the test. That was about 25 years ago. There is simple physics involved in throwing a good flyer . I have tried to pass down this info to many people over the years only to be poo pooed. 95 percent of the people who throw flyers in the retriever sport are phase 2 throwers.

Pete
    Richard P (and a few others) threw a pheasant flyer in the first series at the Natl Am in McCall in 2003. That may have been the longest... Rode out flier, I can recall. I would bet that 90% or more of the dogs hunted about halfway between the fall and the gun, before working their way to the gun! Once that happened, a monster hunt behind the gun ensued... Some, including mine (co-owned) with Mcpoland on this thread... were able to hunt back out to the bird. Some ended up handling and a few even picked up. In the first series! The bird was thrown up a gradual slope, while the dogs were falling off the slope on the way out. With the long flier thrown in, it was a triple whammy...
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin S View Post
    Pumphrey - what a loss to the sport

Bobby? I think his name was, worked for Eric Fangsrud - I can remember a trial @ Warm Springs where the judge asked him to throw the bird - had already decided where to have the holding blind. When he threw the bird the arc was directly over the blind. Managed to turn a good test into a ?????????? The funny thing was, the lead judge had already judged a National .

Jim Gonia, also a very good shot. But I think there's a lot of pro's that are in that category.

Hal Loop had a son that could give you a good throw.
    Bobby Burns was Eric's bird boy for years, he was definately a character.