The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunt Tests....AKC or HRC ??

Joby,

Good post and it was great seeing you last week at Backwater. I have run both in the last year. I think both seem to have some attributes that are more attractive an combination of the two would be a perfect world for me. Nash has run 7 HRC finished and 18 Master tests in the last 2 years so we havent run a tremendous number of tests ...therfore, these are merely my observations from the tests we have participated in and purely my opinions. I like the orginazation at AKC tests as they seem to be able to accomplish more in a given time period and seem to get down to business( i.e running 60 dogs and finishing 2 series in a day). I like the smaller flights in HRC. I like the titling system in AKC as we had to pass 7 finished tests to get Nash's HRCH because we didnt run seasoned. I like the one day event in HRC but feel that 3 series seperates dogs vs test more. I like being able to speak to the dog at the line in HRC. I do not like the Grand influence on blinds "the triangle" that is being used by some judges as their prospecitve at the line is not identical to the handlers and makes the standard weak. To this point I feel the difficulty level has been elevated at the Master Lever over Finished. People at HRC seem more approachable across the board. More Hunters in HRC. Less pro trainers in the HRC events I have ran to this point.
    Last edited by Decoyin Drake; 04-17-2013 at 06:12 PM.
    HRCH BLINDFAITHS BURT BECKER MAGNUM MH
    nashatstud.com

I love em all, it's kind of an addiction at this point.

The HRC feels a bit more relaxed not easier but more relaxed, my 4 year old BLF loves the trailing in the NAHRA, and I do enjoy the large local AKC H/T events. I haven't yet experienced the AKC F/T but can't wait and hopefully my pup will be ready for the derbies this fall.

Do them all and have FUN!
    How The West was Won ( Colt)
    Delilahs Addicted to Mischief ( Delilah) My Jammin little girl
    Extreme Dixies Rebel Yell ( Dixie ) JH
    Dawsons Little Sable (Sable) 12 /08 - 5/14 , We'll hunt again someday girl.

St. Thomas, the great doctor and theologian, warns about the proper use of animals, lest they appear at the final Judgment against us: and God himself will take vengeance on all who misuse his creatures.

I run AKC and HRC. HRC is more relaxed and fun. AKC tends to carry the up-tighters, but its still fun, if you can get past the buzz kills.
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by 2tall View Post
    I have run both, but much prefer the AKC. I am not a hunter, at least not yet, and I have to admit to feeling slightly ridiculous in the camo outfits. I mean, how is the dog supposed to see me when I'm handling? That may not be a big problem at the short distances, but that brings up my next reason for my preference. I have big running dogs with attitude to match. All that commotion at the line, close up guns, etc just drives them over the bend.
    Carol, that's why they're called HUNT tests. Kinda hard to hunt without a gun next to the dog (I've never seen ducks carrying their own), and camo at least on the top half is a good idea. The dogs learn to handle just fine at realistic hunting distances... most camo sticks out to a dog's eyes more than it does to a human (something about the UV light).
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Sharon, you know I am not a hunter. I like running dogs. My experience with HRC has not been what I expect for me or my dogs. That's fine, you enjoy it.. I prefer other things.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Carol, of course I know you aren't a hunter. My point is that when playing games that are supposed to replicate hunting with retrievers, stuff like that is to be expected. Technically, all the retriever games are supposed to be about hunting, but some have gotten far from it. Heck, why even use real birds? Especially flyers? They create too much excitement. (said tongue in cheek) As we've discussed, I like the HRC venue because it's helpful to what I do as a trainer of hunting dogs, who have to get used to being shot next to, mark off the gun barrel, and see birds drop at normal hunting distances.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

I run primarially HRC, have run a few NAHRA's and just recently started running AKC Retriever hunt tests (American Water Spaniels were just allowed to run AKC Retriever hunt tests). I enjoy them all, but HRC is, by far, my favorite. I am, and have always been, a waterfowl hunter and HRC is more realistic in that respect. I like wearing camo to hunt tests (I even wear camo to AKC tests), like wearing waders (sometimes) and running from a dog stand or boat, like shooting from the line, like starting the test with a duck call, and like to be able to communicate with my dog during the test. It has been said that HRC is a "family" and truer words have never been spoken.
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

HRCH UH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) 1000 Point Club
    UH HR GCH Carolina's Wild March Hare SH JHR RAE OA OAJ WDX CGC TDI (Bunny)
    HR CH Carolina's Running with the Hare SH JHR RN WDX CGC (Blew)

I run both and enjoy both. I find AKC to be a bit more challanging so with a young dog I will start with HRC and progress to AKC. I have not checked out NAHRA but I may go watch one this year.

Quote Originally Posted by David McCracken View Post
    like starting the test with a duck call
    David,

With some of the calls out there I hear in hunt test, I wish there was a ribbon for the dog and a failure for calling.

I personally like HRC hunt test and AKC field trials (or at least the first couple of series). I haven't had much fun at the AKC test I have run. Never seen a NAHRA test, but they sound fun.
    Bubba Joiner

HRCH UH Ridgewood's Georgia Dawg (500 point club)
    HRCH Ridgewood's Gold II
    HRCH Hold My Beer & Watch This
    Hope She's A Duk Dawg

I like them both and judge both. As someone said, down here in Louisiana, we just have fun no matter what. We do not have an NAHRA so never tried that, but bet I would enjoy that also.