The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hunt Tests....AKC or HRC ??

I love HRC events. They are more like real hunting and they get the kids involved (very family oriented). Maybe it was just easier for me to make lasting friendships with HRC folks. I now live in Delaware and the HRC events are way too far away and no one to train with for the event so I run AKC hunt test. The scenerios rarely resemble hunting but do test the dogs well. In the end it is all about testing the dogs and having fun.
    Tracy Wight

www.wightlightningretrievers.com
    HRCH UH Zucker's Wight Lightning MH QAA "Zucker"
    Wight's Goddess of Victory MH QAA "Nike"

What's happened to AKC hunt test? Many people on here are saying they aren't any fun, they used to be. I enjoyed them as much as NAHRA, just different.

John

I have never run HRC. I have run Masters in AKC, Seniors in NAHRA and FTs. I agree with John if you give the dogs their choice they would rather do NAHRA. Especially the trailing and sit to flush part.

Especially the trailing and sit to flush part.
    or not.

Used to have a breaker regards,
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Howard, Breaking can still be fun for a dog

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post

I would guess a lot comes down to what's in your area and how far you have to travel in order to title a dog.

John
    This is part of the equation for me. The other is that, having been involved with a club that ran both, I really prefer the AKC tests, especially at the Master stake. I like that AKC focuses on the dog work more so than what the handler is wearing (Not that dog work isn't important in the HRC as well). I like that the AKC master test is 3 series over 2 days. I believe it's more challenging than HRC finished, both for the handler and the dog.

That said, I really enjoyed the time I spent helping put on and run HRC events. My dog didn't care either way. The people were great.

Just my opinion.

What's happened to AKC hunt test? Many people on here are saying they aren't any fun, they used to be. I enjoyed them as much as NAHRA, just different.

John
    I was wondering the same thing. Maybe it's a regional thing but I've ran AKC tests in Oregon, WA and Montana and every one of them was a blast.
    Rick Curtis ~ Currently in Ontario, CA by way of Spokane, WA and Northern CA.

Little Man Caught It On The River SH ~ "Ace"

Handlers Handle, Dogs Dog, Judges Judge

"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart."
    ~Rex Carr

John
    John, For some reason(maybe just flukes), it seems like every AKC test I go to has a larger number of "stick in the mud" people. I don't know why, but it has even made my wife refuse to work at a test anymore due to hateful behavier. Maybe the pureist AKC types tend to be more serious about the game.
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckquilizer View Post
    John, For some reason(maybe just flukes), it seems like every AKC test I go to has a larger number of "stick in the mud" people. I don't know why, but it has even made my wife refuse to work at a test anymore due to hateful behavier. Maybe the pureist AKC types tend to be more serious about the game.
    The cliques run deep in AKC and some think it is life and death if they pass or don't pass. HRC fosters a more friendly
    Attitude, allows dogs to still continue if they fail for the day because of limited numbers. Many HRC participants even if they fail and don't have long distances to travel will hang out in the gallery for awhile even after failing. Many AKC participants when failed ,they are gone, and start preparing for the next one, may even train on the way home.
    Junior people are the most serious, one would think they are at a National Event when they run, especially the perennial Junior who don't step up just continue to run Junior. Serious yes, having fun I think so just more hard core about it.
    Example HRC gallery claps for everyone, good or bad job, AKC not so much.
    Earl Dillow

Quote Originally Posted by Criquetpas View Post
    The cliques run deep in AKC and some think it is life and death if they pass or don't pass. HRC fosters a more friendly
    Attitude, allows dogs to still continue if they fail for the day because of limited numbers. Many HRC participants even if they fail and don't have long distances to travel will hang out in the gallery for awhile even after failing. Many AKC participants when failed ,they are gone, and start preparing for the next one, may even train on the way home.
    Junior people are the most serious, one would think they are at a National Event when they run, especially the perennial Junior who don't step up just continue to run Junior. Serious yes, having fun I think so just more hard core about it.
    Example HRC gallery claps for everyone, good or bad job, AKC not so much.
    That's the way I feel when I run up in Canada; what a breath of fresh air. Running FT's in the US, most applause is reserved for special work, and if you're from another region, you might not get a clap even if you do a top 10% job. Then there are those times when the gallery is almost empty and or the people are just not paying much attention to the test.

Things are much more relaxed and fun up in Canada. I ran a combination land/water blind in Lethbridge last Spring that was so over the top hard, that the gallery was pulling hard for every handler to do well, and any good try got a standing ovation even though most failed the test. That was fun! I remember AKC Hunt Test as being like that 20 years ago, I guess they are trying to be like AKC field trials.

John

I run both. Run more HRC than AKC. My personal observations: HRC = FUN and AKC = SERIOUS. The pucker factor is considerably higher in AKC.

There is certainly a difference in the atmosphere in each venue. I enjoy both and will continue to run both, if there ever comes a time that I am forced to choose only one venue, it will be AKC.

Lonnie
    DISCLAIMER: The above post is the opinionated and biased view of your's truly, Lonnie Spann, and is in no way intended to reflect the opinions or views of the unfortunate individuals named below who just happen to be doomed with guilt by association.

Member of CAHRC and North AL HRC. I train with AND AM FRIENDS WITH: Fishduck, Laidback, Splash_Em, RF2, Drake2014, Claimsadj, Hooked on Quackers, RookieTrainer and Roseberry.

HRCH Spann's Quacker Jack "Jack" 500 Pt. Club (New & IMPROVED jacket).