RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Hunt Tests....AKC or HRC ??

9K views 41 replies 30 participants last post by  Thomas D 
#1 ·
Ok Ya'll....This question is directed to the Folks that choose one Hunt Test Venue (AKC or HRC ) over another. I personally run both , and cant say I have a preference. I just like to hit the highway and run my dogs. I'd run Nahra if they had a test nearby. I'm just a wacked out Hunt Test running machine I guess.
But I notice a lot of people that are strictly AKC and not HRC (and vice versa). Please....If you decide to post, lets keep it civil and professional. This is a question , NOT a debate nor should this thread turn into that. No need to defend or become insulted. I think a lot can be learned from peoples answers to benefit both sides. Soooo, my question is:

1. Why do you prefer to not run in the other Venue?
2. What would make the other Venue more attractive to you?

Thanks in Advance....and Ill hopefully see a lot of you this Summer!!

#2 ·
i just got in to this game but right now i am only running HRC for me there are a few reasons the first reason from what i can understand from the rules in AKC you cant roll over points from one title to the next like you can in HRC. the next is the entry fee the few AKC junior events i have looked at are $70 to enter where the HRC test are $55. these can add up quick for out of town events. so basically it comes down to money right now for me to play the game and i like cheaper. but later when my pup get up to a more finished level we may start to run a few master tests just have to wait and see.

#3 ·
I haven't run HRC, so sorry if I take a little tangent, but I did run a lot of NAHRA and AKC back in the day. First from a dog's standpoint, I think they enjoy them both, but with the trailing, quartering and sit-to-flush, I think dogs just love NAHRA. It seemed to me back then that AKC had slightly meatier marks and blinds, but lacked the upland stuff. Like you I liked them both, and titled dogs in both venues, so don't have a preference. I think from a prestige standpoint AKC titles might be given higher merit, that's just my unscientific perception.

I would guess a lot comes down to what's in your area and how far you have to travel in order to title a dog.

John

#26 ·
I would guess a lot comes down to what's in your area and how far you have to travel in order to title a dog.

John
This is part of the equation for me. The other is that, having been involved with a club that ran both, I really prefer the AKC tests, especially at the Master stake. I like that AKC focuses on the dog work more so than what the handler is wearing (Not that dog work isn't important in the HRC as well). I like that the AKC master test is 3 series over 2 days. I believe it's more challenging than HRC finished, both for the handler and the dog.

That said, I really enjoyed the time I spent helping put on and run HRC events. My dog didn't care either way. The people were great.

Just my opinion.

What's happened to AKC hunt test? Many people on here are saying they aren't any fun, they used to be. I enjoyed them as much as NAHRA, just different.

John
I was wondering the same thing. Maybe it's a regional thing but I've ran AKC tests in Oregon, WA and Montana and every one of them was a blast.

#4 ·
I have run both, but much prefer the AKC. I am not a hunter, at least not yet, and I have to admit to feeling slightly ridiculous in the camo outfits. I mean, how is the dog supposed to see me when I'm handling? That may not be a big problem at the short distances, but that brings up my next reason for my preference. I have big running dogs with attitude to match. All that commotion at the line, close up guns, etc just drives them over the bend. Personally, I like running FT's best, but current circumstances do not offer the opportunity to train for or run them. And lastly, I do it all for fun with the dogs. Not chasing titles, so the cost difference is minimal to me. Maybe get out 3 times a year?

#14 ·
I have run both, but much prefer the AKC. I am not a hunter, at least not yet, and I have to admit to feeling slightly ridiculous in the camo outfits. I mean, how is the dog supposed to see me when I'm handling? That may not be a big problem at the short distances, but that brings up my next reason for my preference. I have big running dogs with attitude to match. All that commotion at the line, close up guns, etc just drives them over the bend.
Carol, that's why they're called HUNT tests. ;) Kinda hard to hunt without a gun next to the dog (I've never seen ducks carrying their own), and camo at least on the top half is a good idea. The dogs learn to handle just fine at realistic hunting distances... most camo sticks out to a dog's eyes more than it does to a human (something about the UV light).

#5 ·
I enjoy running all three, but time, money and energy don't allow me to run much HRC because they are scarce here in the east. As John said, the NAHRA program has pretty much everything at the upper two levels and that is why I enjoy it the most. AKC tests, at least in the east, tend to be more technical, but a lot of that is because many of the venues they choose (private grounds) have technical water available so that's what the judges use. Most of the NAHRA tests in the east are run on public grounds, which have great water but it is not so technical in nature. Run 'em all, get your titles and then pick the one(s) you like the most to keep running just for fun and to keep in shape.

They also all have their big bacchanalia every year (HRC has 2) if you want to run those. HRC and AKC up the standard quite a bit from the average weekend test; NAHRA's Invitational is closer to the norm - their purpose is to "showcase" the dogs, not see what you have to do to get 700 dogs down to a manageable number
.;)

#7 · (Edited)
Started with AKC, later went in to NAHRA then HRC, have titles in all. Prefer NAHRA & HRC, less people 30 vs. 60+ dogs, less pros, more hunters and it's just a fun environment for me (upland adds a lot). Not saying I won't run AKC but I have my MH title, a two day test is very drawn out, seems like I spend all day throwing birds for 1 or 2 pros with 15-20 dogs, and there's nothing else to really shoot for no 500 pt titles etc. The idea of a 1000 dog Master National, plus the expense of the tests to qualify, is nauseating. I can go to a NAHRA Invitational or HRC Grand whenever I choose. I haven't ran an AKC test since I titled my last dog, unless I travel or there's a double MH somewhere I probably won't run any this year. I have ran several NARHAs and HRC tests after we earned those titles, will run more of those this year.

#8 ·
HRC is a lot of fun!! for you and your dog! on a weekend! and very achievable.
Can't speak for AKC HT. Never been interested in running this venue.
But really like AKC FT but loads of work, every day and I have lots to learn!:) It is fun too!:) IMHO

#11 · (Edited)
Joby,

Good post and it was great seeing you last week at Backwater. I have run both in the last year. I think both seem to have some attributes that are more attractive an combination of the two would be a perfect world for me. Nash has run 7 HRC finished and 18 Master tests in the last 2 years so we havent run a tremendous number of tests ...therfore, these are merely my observations from the tests we have participated in and purely my opinions. I like the orginazation at AKC tests as they seem to be able to accomplish more in a given time period and seem to get down to business( i.e running 60 dogs and finishing 2 series in a day). I like the smaller flights in HRC. I like the titling system in AKC as we had to pass 7 finished tests to get Nash's HRCH because we didnt run seasoned. I like the one day event in HRC but feel that 3 series seperates dogs vs test more. I like being able to speak to the dog at the line in HRC. I do not like the Grand influence on blinds "the triangle" that is being used by some judges as their prospecitve at the line is not identical to the handlers and makes the standard weak. To this point I feel the difficulty level has been elevated at the Master Lever over Finished. People at HRC seem more approachable across the board. More Hunters in HRC. Less pro trainers in the HRC events I have ran to this point.

#12 ·
I love em all, it's kind of an addiction at this point.

The HRC feels a bit more relaxed not easier but more relaxed, my 4 year old BLF loves the trailing in the NAHRA, and I do enjoy the large local AKC H/T events. I haven't yet experienced the AKC F/T but can't wait and hopefully my pup will be ready for the derbies this fall.

Do them all and have FUN!

#15 ·
Sharon, you know I am not a hunter. I like running dogs. My experience with HRC has not been what I expect for me or my dogs. That's fine, you enjoy it.. I prefer other things.

#16 ·
Carol, of course I know you aren't a hunter. :) My point is that when playing games that are supposed to replicate hunting with retrievers, stuff like that is to be expected. Technically, all the retriever games are supposed to be about hunting, but some have gotten far from it. Heck, why even use real birds? Especially flyers? They create too much excitement. (said tongue in cheek) ;) As we've discussed, I like the HRC venue because it's helpful to what I do as a trainer of hunting dogs, who have to get used to being shot next to, mark off the gun barrel, and see birds drop at normal hunting distances.

#17 ·
I run primarially HRC, have run a few NAHRA's and just recently started running AKC Retriever hunt tests (American Water Spaniels were just allowed to run AKC Retriever hunt tests). I enjoy them all, but HRC is, by far, my favorite. I am, and have always been, a waterfowl hunter and HRC is more realistic in that respect. I like wearing camo to hunt tests (I even wear camo to AKC tests), like wearing waders (sometimes) and running from a dog stand or boat, like shooting from the line, like starting the test with a duck call, and like to be able to communicate with my dog during the test. It has been said that HRC is a "family" and truer words have never been spoken.

#19 ·
like starting the test with a duck call
David,

With some of the calls out there I hear in hunt test, I wish there was a ribbon for the dog and a failure for calling.:p

I personally like HRC hunt test and AKC field trials (or at least the first couple of series). I haven't had much fun at the AKC test I have run. Never seen a NAHRA test, but they sound fun.

#21 ·
I love HRC events. They are more like real hunting and they get the kids involved (very family oriented). Maybe it was just easier for me to make lasting friendships with HRC folks. I now live in Delaware and the HRC events are way too far away and no one to train with for the event so I run AKC hunt test. The scenerios rarely resemble hunting but do test the dogs well. In the end it is all about testing the dogs and having fun.

#27 ·
John, For some reason(maybe just flukes), it seems like every AKC test I go to has a larger number of "stick in the mud" people. I don't know why, but it has even made my wife refuse to work at a test anymore due to hateful behavier. Maybe the pureist AKC types tend to be more serious about the game.

#24 ·
Especially the trailing and sit to flush part.
or not.

Used to have a breaker regards,

#30 ·
I run both. Run more HRC than AKC. My personal observations: HRC = FUN and AKC = SERIOUS. The pucker factor is considerably higher in AKC.

There is certainly a difference in the atmosphere in each venue. I enjoy both and will continue to run both, if there ever comes a time that I am forced to choose only one venue, it will be AKC.

Lonnie

#32 ·
John,
I used to run in Canada made a few QAA, noticed the farther East i got towards Quebec, Sudbury On, the more tight butt they were with Americans. The More West I went Soo West ThunderBay , Manitoba the more loose they were, more friendly to Americans. That was 1985ish things maybe different now? Of course I was running Goldens at the time, haha.

#33 ·
Run AKC, then HRC, then AKC, then HRC etc. Heck run both. The HT programs in all venues are all great! Dogs don't care it's all about picking up some birds. Great people in all programs with only a few butt heads. We need to support each other, there are many that would take away our rights to run any retriever program.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.