The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Hunt Tests....AKC or HRC ??

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    What's happened to AKC hunt test? Many people on here are saying they aren't any fun, they used to be. I enjoyed them as much as NAHRA, just different.

John
    I think it is because of more dogs being run by pros with absentee owners. This has caused larger entries, more work, and less help for the hosting clubs & members. When I first started running HTs most of the dogs were run by their owners. Even those that were run by pros, the owners were local and usually there watching.

Its the same changes that have occurred in FTs.

John,
    I used to run in Canada made a few QAA, noticed the farther East i got towards Quebec, Sudbury On, the more tight butt they were with Americans. The More West I went Soo West ThunderBay , Manitoba the more loose they were, more friendly to Americans. That was 1985ish things maybe different now? Of course I was running Goldens at the time, haha.
    Earl Dillow

Run AKC, then HRC, then AKC, then HRC etc. Heck run both. The HT programs in all venues are all great! Dogs don't care it's all about picking up some birds. Great people in all programs with only a few butt heads. We need to support each other, there are many that would take away our rights to run any retriever program.
    Ed Wojciechowski

"GUNNER" MH
    "DASH" MH
    "TAZ" HRCH,RN,MH,MNH
    "Duffy" HRCH,UH, MH, HRC 500 points RIP
    "Kodi" SH, WCX- HRCH 6th Std Poodle
    "GINA" JH STD Poodle
    "Heather" HRCH, SH
    "CHIEF" JH,WCX,RN,SHR STD Poodle

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Main View Post
    I think it is because of more dogs being run by pros with absentee owners. This has caused larger entries, more work, and less help for the hosting clubs & members. When I first started running HTs most of the dogs were run by their owners. Even those that were run by pros, the owners were local and usually there watching.

Its the same changes that have occurred in FTs.
    That is exactly what the problem is. When you have 10 handlers in a flgt of 60 dogs not to many in the gallery. All club member are working and do not have time to socialize. I have fun at both, and most HRC or AKC I run are the same people.

Quote Originally Posted by wojo View Post
    Run AKC, then HRC, then AKC, then HRC etc. Heck run both. The HT programs in all venues are all great! Dogs don't care it's all about picking up some birds. Great people in all programs with only a few butt heads. We need to support each other, there are many that would take away our rights to run any retriever program.
    ^^^This^^^
    Allen Dillard

HRCH Play It Again, Sam MH *** "Sam"
    Scout's High Calibre "Colt"
    Slippin' Up the Holler "Dooley"
    Lucky Number Seven VII "Layla"

Quote Originally Posted by Karen Klotthor View Post
    That is exactly what the problem is. When you have 10 handlers in a flgt of 60 dogs not to many in the gallery. All club member are working and do not have time to socialize. I have fun at both, and most HRC or AKC I run are the same people.
    Karen,
    It is always the same people at our tests, both AKC and HRC. I enjoy running both, but prefer the unpredictability of the AKC setups. More challenging for me and the B dog.
    AD
    Allen Dillard

Quote Originally Posted by RF2 View Post
    Karen,
    It is always the same people at our tests, both AKC and HRC. I enjoy running both, but prefer the unpredictability of the AKC setups. More challenging for me and the B dog.
    AD
    Is unpredictability a good thing when you are judged against a standard? It's definately a good way to describe some of the test set ups I've seen. Along with the judging for that matter...

I run both. But, I prefer AKC Master over HRC Finished.

It's not because of "unpredictability" or because it's more "fun". It's because there is more emphasis placed on testing the dogs, rather than playing pretend.

When you try to make something that isn't real realistic, all you accomplish is making fake things.

Hunt tests should be real. They should be real tests.

They can't be real hunts. Trying to make them realistic, only makes them more fake.

I hate the fake wooden gun in AKC tests. I like the real tests, in AKC tests.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul "Happy" Gilmore View Post
    Is unpredictability a good thing when you are judged against a standard? It's definately a good way to describe some of the test set ups I've seen. Along with the judging for that matter...
    Yes it is. The standards are marking, style, perseverance, and trainability. How those are tested is way more imaginative in AKC. As long as the scenario is plausible, let's play.

Our HRC club has had flyers, inlines, poison birds, interrupted mark's, etc. FR is not invited!
    Allen Dillard

Quote Originally Posted by RF2 View Post
    Yes it is. The standards are marking, style, perseverance, and trainability. How those are tested is way more imaginative in AKC. As long as the scenario is plausible, let's play.

Our HRC club has had flyers, inlines, poison birds, interrupted mark's, etc. FR is not invited!
    Is there an option to invite FR's?
    Tom Dorroh