The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The MUST Haves??

Default The MUST Haves??

So I was wondering what everyone thinks is a must have for training. Such as whistles, e collar, bumpers, crates, etc. What are some other things a first timer should have on hand and which ones are recommended? I get my hunting partner back in month or so and want to make sure I have everything I should need for keeping him sharp along with what will be needed during hunting season. Just going to be a hunting dog and go everywhere dog such as work and to the river on weekends. Thanks.

Brett

Holding blinds, mat, chair, good helpers in the field, 80K 12 hole dog truck with 30k 12 hole trailer, Gatorade, beef jerky, unlimited income, time, 20,000 acres of groomed training ground with concept ponds.

Patience.

/Paul
    Paul Cantrell
    Black Ice Retrievers
    Marcola OR

Too many dogs to list (By some Bitch)

https://www.facebook.com/BlackIceRetrievers
    http://gundog2002.blogspot.com/
    "Helping Hunters Train Their Dogs"

Paul thanks for in the wishes but just have the one dog and not going to run any tests with him just hunt. So I guess the patience is what I could use from your list.

Quote Originally Posted by Brettttka View Post
    So I was wondering what everyone thinks is a must have for training. Such as whistles, e collar, bumpers, crates, etc. What are some other things a first timer should have on hand and which ones are recommended? I get my hunting partner back in month or so and want to make sure I have everything I should need for keeping him sharp along with what will be needed during hunting season. Just going to be a hunting dog and go everywhere dog such as work and to the river on weekends. Thanks.

Brett

Besides what you listed, if he's just a hunting dog and a buddy, you might need a lesson or two on how your trainer has been handling him......for consistancy.

Oh, don't forget cookies!
    Jeff Brezee

MHR HR Brezee Oak's Brother Bear SH
    Brezee Oak's Keep to the Code SH "Jasmine"

Yes plan on spending quite a bit of time with the trainer learing the ropes. Luckily the trainer isnt to far away and is awesome to work with so plan on doing some training days with them too.

I am relatively new to this also, startedusing professionally trained retrievers about 2000. It is a great experience,but takes time, lots of reading and talking with other trainers and hunterswith dogs. It is a rewarding, but never ending. I also live in MO so the listbelow will hit on basics relative to waterfowl hunting in this area. Getting yourselftrained is the big challenge. Work with your pro trainer, he should get youup to speed. Also attend local hunttests/ trials where you can see dogs at work and meet other dog people. Also,look on this site or others (HRC or Entry Express) for a training group you canjoin and work with.

Basic List: E Collar if your pro trained your dog to a collar, crate withcover, bumpers all kinds (need lots), Whistle and lanyard, Camo dog blind(unless you have a blind set up for hunting with dogs), Camo dog vest

I think those are the basics, I am sure I left out a few things, but otherswill jump in and add....as the guy above shows to be a fully qualified trainerit is very expensive. That is why we use pro's and training groups....

Good Luck and Have Fun...you will never be the same....!

Last edited by swampcollielover; 04-16-2013 at 10:20 AM.

I would recommend 7 orange and 7 white bumpers (Avery hexbumbers are amazing) , a few dokken mallard bumpers (i prefer them over the avery mallard bumpers), whistle, e collar, hunting platform, and a few hours with the trainer to show you how the dog has been trained and to train you on how to not mess the dig up. As far as crate wise, you can go with a metal single hole for not to bad of a price for the aluminum ones. They can have storage and allow you to lock the dog in so it cannot be taken by a stranger out of the box while in the back of the truck. Or you can go with a plastic one which are lots cheaper. I train dogs to hunt as well, only running hunt test as a fun social event every now and then, and have found that a winger zinger (or just some type of bumper thrower) is very helpful to keep the dog looking up and out for the birds, not for the birds to be coming from your hand.

I personally have a plastic crate, 10 orange/7 white hex bumper, 6 duck bumpers (3 teal and 3 mallard), e collar, whistle, platform similar to the one a dog will hunt from (if he is going to), a few blanks and poppers once season gets closer, LOTS of patience with the dog, and a good woman to toss a few bumpers for me. It may be kind of much just to train a few dogs here and there to hunt (which it is, and is nowhere this much needed), but it really helps to have it all to deal with finishing a dog on hand signals and blinds, and as well as doing transition training for the dog to hopefully get them as use to the hunting conditions as possible (such as tossing 4-5 bumpers at a time while "shooting" them all to simulate several ducks being shot out of one group. I also find that a 5 gallon bucket with a few holes drilled in it to let water drain out helps keep everything together and ready to go whenever you are going to train.

As long as you are doing some training days with your pro before you pick up your dog, you won't need much. A whistle and show up on time maybe a white shirt and that'll do it at first. After you've watched your pro and worked your dog for a bit, you won't have any problems figuring out what to spend your training dollars on.

That was assuming your dog was at the pro's and not day training.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Yes dog has been at pro's buying him as a started dog and will be ready to go. I have the whistles, e collar, crates, etc, just making sure I havent missed anything before he gets here. I am thinking about purchasing a kennel cover for the few time that he wont be able to ride inside the truck with me. Any thoughts on those?

In addition to the equipment listed above, one of the most important training aids to have is a heeling stick. I use a heeling stick as much as I use an e-collar...maybe more.
    Carolina American Water Spaniels

HRCH UH Carolina's Duck Gumbo MHA SHR RN WDS CGC TDI (Gumbo) 1000 Point Club
    UH HR GCH Carolina's Wild March Hare SH JHR RAE OA OAJ WDX CGC TDI (Bunny)
    HR CH Carolina's Running with the Hare SH JHR RN WDX CGC (Blew)