The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Post

Default First Post

I've spent a lot of time on this site-it's a great resource-figured I may as well start posting.

I'll make my into as short as possible: I'm a Lardy guy, after you start with Mertens. Currently training my 3rd lab, Sadie, the other two are old spinsters (11 and 14). She spent months 5-8.5 with a pro while I was busy with work related duties. Based on what I've read, she is nearly the same age and roughly the same spot in her training as Mr. Nutt's Rowdy.

My job affords me the ability to bring/train at work, and hunt nearly as often as I'd like-50-60 days/season. On the downside, my work schedule the past 6-7yrs hasn't allowed for time off in the spring and summer to run tests and/or trials, but I'm training with hopes that that will soon change.

Biggest challenge right now is trying to secure a decent pond for Swim by. Any advice would be greatly appreciated since there is no club in my area.

Where do you live? Keep a look out for any type of water that will work for swim by. I don't know your location, but neighborhood ponds, irrigation ponds etc will work. If you see a potential spot, it never hurts to stop and ask if you could "borrow" it. The worst they can say is no. If you're near Omak, there are hundreds of potholes all the way south to the Tri Cities.
    ~Willie Alderson

"Drake" Willey's Drake Seeker Supreme MH

"Roxi" Alder Creeks Riparian Roxi

Unfortunately I have no advice for the area your in since I'm from the complete opposite side of the US, but as another new guy just wanted to say welcome aboard.

Welcome to RTF. Great knowledge on this site.
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

I live right on the Columbia near Wenatchee. Loads of water nearby, albeit too big and too cold, for swimby. I know there has to be decent spots nearby, just need to figure out where...

I sent you a PM
    ~Willie Alderson

Willie-can't PM till I get to 10 posts, so...
    It wasn't me, but I do know who you are talking about-I just sent him a message about the swim by. Thanks for the great tip! Ryan Fortier of Long Hollow Retrievers is my dog guy, and is only a 1.5 hr drive, so if can't come up with a viable option, I'll just put a few more miles on my rig and get it done by a pro once it warms a bit. Thanks.

Sounds good. Good luck!
    ~Willie Alderson

Welcome to the RTF DDD.
    gotta be dog folk or clubs in your neck of the woods.
    were is Happy or /paul?
    and so.... what you use the downriggers for? I know what them things are
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Ken-I think those guys are on the other side of the state. Downriggers are so I can take my good-luck-fishing-dogs with me fishing and actually enjoy it! Made the mistake of doing a little bobber fishing once, back in the day, with my first dog. You can imagine how much fun that was... though I suppose it was good work on steadiness. Came to the profound conclusion that downriggers better for fishing with retrievers