The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Puppy ear problems--vet advice

Clean, clean and clean again. No more problems. The time to clean quote is from Ken Bora. Ken weigh in on this. Time to clean. Food allergey ?????
    A cold nose feels good on a hot day.....
    Majestic Oaks Liberty Belle JH

I had a pup about that same age who had a couple of yeast infections in one ear. My vet recommended Zymox Otic with Hydrocortisone to clear it up. He was one of the smallest pups in the litter and once he grew up a little, he never had another infection.
    Sonia Liedman

Handled by:
    Rocky's Red Hot Shot "Chip" MH QAA
    Babyduck's Blueberry Power "Blue"

Trained by:
    Piva's Gem Rocky "Rocky" MH QAA - RIP
    Swede Grove's Rough Rider "Teddy" JH - RIP

A big thumbs up for the purple stuff!! works great. Actually had my vet call me one time to ask for the recipe

Also agree with looking at the food you are feeding.

Quote Originally Posted by rawdeal View Post
    Vet gave meTrizultra + Keto Flush. Thanks for all the responses.

Quick question about the food-allergy suggestion. I didn't mention that the yeast infection was only in one ear. Her othter ear is perfect. Does anyone know if that would indicate less of a chance of the issue being a food allergy?
    I don't know the answer to your question about one ear vs. two. But it's just one ear infection, you don't have much to go on...most likely it is a one time thing. On the other hand if your pup keeps getting them, or they are hard to clear up, I'd be looking at food allergies or some other environmental cause. Hopefully your vet was just giving you a heads up, be on the lookout, just in case kind of warning.

I don't agree with Yellow Machine about cleaning the ears all the time. Mother Nature gave the dogs an immune system, including secretions in the ears that should protect them from infection. If you clean clean clean the ears you may be removing some of the good stuff. If dog is getting infections over and over again, then that tells you something is defeating the immune system.

I'm not a vet, but I had a battle with ear infections in one of my dogs and got bad, bad advice from a vet about what to do about it, so I feel for you.

Also, me personally, I would not experiment with DIY treatments in a such a young puppy. I'd go with the vet treatments (unless he suggests something radical like mine did).
    Last edited by mitty; 04-17-2013 at 09:55 PM.
    Renee P

Uplandbird, when the dogs each had their one ear infection I followed the Vet's treatment like clock work, but like some one else stated I see no reason to dry my dog's ears every time they get out of the pool because it has not been an area to cause them follow up care. They are in the pool for hours several times a day all year long. If I do not want them in the pool I have to put a leash on them. I do check my dog's ears regularly as well as their teeth, skin, eyes, and pads. If I saw any redness I would be at the Vet within the hour. You should see my file.

Terri

Quote Originally Posted by Terri View Post
    Uplandbird, when the dogs each had their one ear infection I followed the Vet's treatment like clock work, but like some one else stated I see no reason to dry my dog's ears every time they get out of the pool because it has not been an area to cause them follow up care. They are in the pool for hours several times a day all year long. If I do not want them in the pool I have to put a leash on them. I do check my dog's ears regularly as well as their teeth, skin, eyes, and pads. If I saw any redness I would be at the Vet within the hour. You should see my file.

Terri
    Hey Terri, Lucky you that your dogs are in and out of pool all year long. We just got 6 inches of snow here yesterday!
    Anyways, no offense about your dogs health.
    That's the problem is that most people don't bother checking ears, teeth, general health of their dogs. Only when they notice a problem and sometimes it's to late.
    You are the exception to the rule.
    I always dry not clean the inside of my dogs ear, when done in the water.
    i was was just trying to give him advice on how to help prevent it (moisture and low oxygen again big factors in yeast infections)in the future cuz if he's Drying them he's also gonna look at them to see if something is brewing in there. He can get a jump on treating before it gets to be a problem.
    That's all! I've seen some very sad stories over the 20 years of being a vet tech and probably am way overboard with clients and my dogs health. but I can't help it! Maria, ie: uplandbird

I think an ear infection as a puppy is pretty common, right up there w/ UTIs, and right around teething seems to be a problematic time for both. Given that the immune system isn't mature until 6+ mos, I'd surely not fret over it. The purple stuff is what I use, and I've yet to have a dog w/ ear issues later in life. My dogs are also in the water quite a bit though it's fairly clean.

Growing up with Goldens and now having a 7 year old springer I have been cleanings ears longer than most vets have been practicing. I am by no means a vet, but the old saying an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure is very true here! Best method I have found is rubbing alcohol and a cotton ball. You aren't going deep in the canal, as you will hurt more than help, but simply using the alcohol to dry and cotton ball to gently clean. You can also lay your dog on its side and pour half a cap full of rubbing alcohol in the ear canal and gently massage the ear, and then gently roll em over and let alcohol run out onto towel. Mine love it if done gently. Think of it like a child who has water stuck in their ear after swimming in the river....same concept you would use to prevent them from getting swimmers ear.