RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Puppy ear problems--vet advice

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  grnhed 
#1 ·
I have a 17 wk- old lab puppy, and took her to the vet today for another round of shots, and while I was there I pointed out to the vet that one of her ears had a bunch of black stuff in it. She swabbed it, and after looking at it under the microscope, she confirmed it to be a yeast infection. My biggest concern is that she said the puppy having this condition at such an early age was a sign that the pup will likely have ear problems throughout her life. I have two questions: 1) what type of ear problems should I be concerned about?; and 2) is there a home-made solution that works to clean out the dog's ears after swimming?

#4 ·
More likely than not, it's related to a food allergy. And that doesn't mean that it's the food's fault.

Dogs are individuals. They don't all get along with the same food.
But, if you can find a food that your dog gets along with, you don't need to dump crap in their ears, to keep them from getting yeast infections. No matter how frequently they are in the water.

#5 ·
If the ear infection is persistent and difficult to cure, or ear infections recur frequently in your pup, you should suspect a food allergy.

What did the vet give you for the ears? Last time mine got one, the vets also gave me an additional ear drop (Surolan) that was much more effective than anything they had given me before. I no longer resort to the "purple stuff." Altogether I was dosing her with 3 types of drops but it cleared up fast.

#9 ·
Vet gave meTrizultra + Keto Flush. Thanks for all the responses.

Quick question about the food-allergy suggestion. I didn't mention that the yeast infection was only in one ear. Her othter ear is perfect. Does anyone know if that would indicate less of a chance of the issue being a food allergy?

#6 ·
I deal with this on a pretty regular basis in my pup...seems like constant exposure to water does not help but now that I think about it I have not seen it come back since I changed food. I just used an ear cleaner from pets mart twice a day and that cleared it up.

#7 ·
I'm no vet but I work in the veterinary field. I also had a golden retriever that had ear infection problems.
I did switch him to a more hypoallergenic food, chicken and rice specifically. Also, very helpful is to dry ears on the inside after he/she has been in the water. Please don't jam anything further down ear causing more problems, just dry as far as first bend in ear.
You Should use a an ear cleaner once weekly as a preventive and then apply some sort of ear meds that has ketaconazole (for yeast) in it and some sort of antibiotic (for bacteria).
Active infection you need to clean daily medicate twice daily until you get it under control. Good Training!

#8 ·
I have two Labradors and both have had an ear infection at a young age. My vet told me that some times it is because the ear canal needs to finish growing. My older girl is now five and she has never had another ear infection. The only time I dry out her ears is if I take her some place and the water smells bad, otherwise I do not bother and she swims everyday. My younger Lab, who is two years old has also had one ear infection. She was with the "pro" and her ear drum ruptured from the infection. After treatment she has never had another infection and she also swim every day. Both dogs dive down to the bottom of the pool for toys. I think both dogs had a problem because of the contaminated water at training locations. Do you remember if the water had a bad smell? Hoping it was the water and you never have to worry about frequent ear infections.

Terri

#15 ·
Uplandbird, when the dogs each had their one ear infection I followed the Vet's treatment like clock work, but like some one else stated I see no reason to dry my dog's ears every time they get out of the pool because it has not been an area to cause them follow up care. They are in the pool for hours several times a day all year long. If I do not want them in the pool I have to put a leash on them. I do check my dog's ears regularly as well as their teeth, skin, eyes, and pads. If I saw any redness I would be at the Vet within the hour. You should see my file.

Terri

#16 ·
Hey Terri, Lucky you that your dogs are in and out of pool all year long. We just got 6 inches of snow here yesterday!
Anyways, no offense about your dogs health.
That's the problem is that most people don't bother checking ears, teeth, general health of their dogs. Only when they notice a problem and sometimes it's to late.
You are the exception to the rule.
I always dry not clean the inside of my dogs ear, when done in the water.
i was was just trying to give him advice on how to help prevent it (moisture and low oxygen again big factors in yeast infections)in the future cuz if he's Drying them he's also gonna look at them to see if something is brewing in there. He can get a jump on treating before it gets to be a problem.
That's all! I've seen some very sad stories over the 20 years of being a vet tech and probably am way overboard with clients and my dogs health. but I can't help it! Maria, ie: uplandbird

#17 ·
I think an ear infection as a puppy is pretty common, right up there w/ UTIs, and right around teething seems to be a problematic time for both. Given that the immune system isn't mature until 6+ mos, I'd surely not fret over it. The purple stuff is what I use, and I've yet to have a dog w/ ear issues later in life. My dogs are also in the water quite a bit though it's fairly clean.

#18 ·
Growing up with Goldens and now having a 7 year old springer I have been cleanings ears longer than most vets have been practicing. I am by no means a vet, but the old saying an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure is very true here! Best method I have found is rubbing alcohol and a cotton ball. You aren't going deep in the canal, as you will hurt more than help, but simply using the alcohol to dry and cotton ball to gently clean. You can also lay your dog on its side and pour half a cap full of rubbing alcohol in the ear canal and gently massage the ear, and then gently roll em over and let alcohol run out onto towel. Mine love it if done gently. Think of it like a child who has water stuck in their ear after swimming in the river....same concept you would use to prevent them from getting swimmers ear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.